发表于 2008-3-1 00:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
1 i. Z; i+ a- T: wTHE NEW DRIVER6 x0 s, p# F3 x) M! @# e8 d# @
Common Tendencies – Possible Solutions8 f( U% G5 V- B# C0 W+ K4 z
Table of Contents( o0 G$ W+ u* _4 e
Introduction 2
5 P+ F" y$ q# _) p) JVisual Skills 28 b& @. Q; B  ~8 ]) S+ \
Commentary Driving 3
' {& S, I. Q1 i+ D+ d; _8 c9 KDemonstrations, Pictures, and Observing 3( {  a: x1 T2 d  r6 v7 A, P- J8 a
Turns3 ^  q3 E% T  T9 f- N
Right Turns 4
4 V/ B! a7 H! r$ z; h) ?Left Turns 6
" G2 O6 C7 I/ s+ G; w$ P5 O; E# hTracking 7
/ P) b3 O" {/ sParking  p* v$ {. c: v3 ~- B6 _
Parallel 8
; T( {4 S4 {" `, ~6 x/ {# eDownhill 9- k# C8 g; X$ ]; u3 S. V
Uphill 10" T( r* b5 f7 h4 u- a2 r7 d( h9 `/ q9 v
Braking Too Late, Too Hard, or Too Softly 11) c8 g; W) ?8 C; A1 l" o
Following Too Closely 12
" e, P! c- d3 @5 C8 p4 ILane Changing 13
4 {- U3 y% r6 K: LMerging 15& i/ H" {- B" r7 ]2 h2 d4 c& H! E; T
Traffic Circles 17
1 E( ]9 E* i9 H+ F/ |3 WIntersections (Anticipating Light Changes) 19+ x% V7 G3 `5 c/ |; u; [
Manual Transmissions 21  y& M, }: i7 O# K2 G* S; [" F* E
2/ A2 _9 o$ W& L% A6 b8 h0 w
Introduction
5 X$ u+ x- v) ~. j! C$ eThis information is provided as supplemental material for Geared To Go: A Workbook  G. _8 b) J) V0 G4 a7 w
for Coaching New Drivers.7 v7 J& U9 t5 v7 T
As a coach (parent) of a new driver you will face many challenges. Learners experience: e4 r$ }% C; T% s9 p( \! U) f
problems in similar areas. This web site explores these tendencies* and common
: ~) l) f: q2 G* jproblems, and explains how to coach the learner to correct problems or to avoid problems8 d' i9 b1 h1 P+ x, V0 B/ v# `
from developing and re-occurring.
+ l& {' N+ S- k/ [*Tendency – a proneness to a particular kind of thought or action7 ~% h! ]* p0 P3 P
Visual Skills( r+ s. H/ ?) D
Visual skills are the root of almost every success or failure in driver education and
% x, |" \# l2 z3 `training. Visual skills are the driver’s awareness of where to look and when. Good# ~7 N3 K# S# g6 b
visual skill habits should be developed in the early stages of learning and need to be
! e+ i5 G7 l( Z- G8 Areinforced continually until they become habit. Proper visual skills while the vehicle is in3 M- k& L3 j& g# H+ V8 b
motion (vision and movement) are the basis for developing most other aspects of
( N  e+ C4 m1 m8 A9 Vinformation gathering and vehicle handling.
- B& g3 [  q) D( c. g, kIdentifying focal points will help the new driver. Focal points are objects ahead or7 j+ k: [" Q) ]7 `0 y; T4 f
behind the vehicle that are used to ensure the driver is looking far enough away from the6 h) i/ V- X  q  s) `1 `/ O2 r1 w$ _
vehicle in the direction of travel to allow for planning for potential hazards. Traffic lights6 u4 P5 x4 B2 M% S9 Q. A! p1 c1 T$ J) s
two to three blocks ahead are an example of a focal point.4 g+ z# N- w: ^3 `1 f8 V7 V
Scanning is your field of vision all around the vehicle. By scanning ahead, behind, and3 n" _- P6 M7 k$ {% t5 r
around the vehicle valuable information is gathered to help the driver assess changing5 ?9 M% w$ x% I) p, |2 a
situations and allow proactive planning to avoid or reduce potential risks. Learning where1 P8 W! y6 ^: `5 n
to scan is a very important skill for the new driver to develop. Knowing where to look is' @$ `' b; V1 i2 E+ L$ l- w
the key.8 {) G- {4 Q% L6 @' r1 Q
When the activity ahead is turning or travelling on a straight road, suggest focal points,! X+ J# O5 ?+ W' @% C
such as the next set of lights, or a vehicle at the end of the street, to develop proper visual" k; I$ R5 o. b$ {) t" Y
skills.
5 h, I* a  ?+ y( J: I2 CWatch for the learner's chin being raised. This is not helpful for correct vision.8 @, N- F% x6 }' {; Z  g
Remember, if the chin is up, the eyes are down. This is easier to detect when the learner$ g! [! V6 C' i6 ]8 L( `. R9 D6 B
is practicing parking.3 S; y: |* Z/ U+ u
Good visual skills require checking the rear view mirror regularly. Checking every five to
+ ~: F9 Z+ j$ u7 A& R/ ?eight seconds, or about every block, is a good habit to develop to allow planning when
3 T1 d/ Q: q. c* r+ r( Nstopping or slowing., X- L: }4 s8 B2 a, C% c3 T5 b
Many drivers, whether new or experienced, will check the rear view mirror when
: |; R' ~: c6 Y! I  zbraking. This is a good idea, but it is not planning ahead. A driver who is scanning 15 to, D1 ]# U* E/ y" A9 ?" A
20 seconds ahead will receive information about what is happening in advance of being9 e% C. C5 l4 w2 f
there. If the traffic light one and a half to two blocks ahead is stale (the Don't Walk light
8 c% e" P# l& p. \8 A; X3" v$ t$ n  w8 Z; M5 _/ h" D0 }
is on), it is safe to assume it will be red by the time the vehicle is at the intersection.; `$ i, q6 k- H* K, ]
Teach the learner to anticipate stopping or slowing for the situation ahead. This is an5 f; R% w( W6 l/ u% ?& ?9 ~. V
ideal time to check the rear view mirror, and plan for what is happening behind. This is a& a8 N* A7 s* W: k
better time than when braking hard at the light, wondering if a stop is possible, and
  m. [+ k% W- g2 Phoping the vehicle behind, that likely began braking later than you, can stop.
# O! Z5 }% O; V* GCommentary Driving, \1 I1 X8 q7 o. E
Commentary driving is a very effective tool for both the learner and the coach., Y2 F* p: A& D, g0 R8 o
Encourage the learner to say out loud what is being seen and planned. This takes away a
' j; C2 T1 y. a8 Clot of the guessing and assuming by the coach. For some new drivers, talking and driving0 N0 F( g/ Q3 r( g. z2 q! h
will seem difficult in the beginning. However, it will become easier with practice.
7 s; r  {5 \0 ]$ D3 B4 }Do not expect the learner to speak continually. Provide an example of topics to talk1 x8 O! v. @5 p" c4 _
about. Identify the possible hazards, traffic signs, traffic lights, and so on. The goal is to, y0 A" i; a+ j! Z
ensure that the learner is scanning far enough ahead (one to two blocks) and checking
  C) `0 V. ?: j+ y+ L4 f9 k" Sbehind the vehicle.1 Y' D! a* o" J, o% O9 y
When the learner has improved at identifying important aspects of driving, expand the0 v/ E6 ?! I  s( K* `/ \9 ~
commentary driving to include the action that will be taken to deal with the recognized
) T6 V! g; ?1 e$ E8 u6 chazard.$ F5 M4 K% h& B
It may be necessary to limit the commentary driving to 15 to 30 seconds in the beginning.
* ^  a0 i; [0 U7 y! n2 j; }+ a" FThe time can be extended to longer periods as the learner improves. Another method is to/ U1 j0 ^0 [; @% O# O6 F
have the learner identify traffic signs or traffic lights for a specified number of lights or+ h' ]4 @, h" N/ F( T( t
blocks. It is important for some new drivers to know that the commentary will end at a7 T2 U. b& M4 K# I3 q
specific point or time.; `9 q; M3 |( U+ N1 m! T1 u- ]
Demonstrations, Pictures, and Observing5 C0 F8 |) l# A, R( f, [. O. P3 R
Before doing a high-risk activity, such as merging and traffic circles, demonstrate the
" C" d2 v+ Q& y& ?( Pactivity, draw pictures to explain it, and have the learner observe the situation when
) h+ i  u  p5 L# x) ?2 ?possible.7 r/ t4 V( w3 Z" C
Find a location on a quiet street to preview the activity with demonstrations and
5 Z' b5 v/ X# X+ J  q+ n. x2 @diagrams, where the learner can focus without other distractions. This gives the learner. ]; ]& B+ s8 b; T& P
the opportunity to ‘visualize’ the activity prior to attempting it. Provide thorough( m: _! U! l% q9 ~
explanations in a logical sequence. To ensure all the information has been understood6 k- C5 i  Q8 T- B! o
have the learner repeat (paraphrase) what has been learned. Their feedback should be
, W  E$ ~- E: O# N! j& especific. Encourage the learner to ask questions at this point.
' K6 e/ ?+ X9 P5 A/ YObservation is another very effective method for learning and teaching. Park the vehicle' `! X5 |: t& `' t5 u
in a safe place where the activity can be watched for a few minutes. Encourage the
6 f7 \; @" y6 b+ t8 R+ k& O' ]learner to ask questions about what the learner has observed.9 Y: z& J3 S+ R
44 B5 Z* s+ t" U( Y# w- r
Turns
) m; [! \1 ?# A; DA. Right Turns3 H; j5 K0 `) I+ m9 h; f2 M( Y
New Driver Tendency:3 h& B/ R) ^# k; i
• Right turns tend to be performed too widely or too tightly, due to the following.9 S6 L2 U! A1 A3 h: N, ~4 f
1. Approaching the turn too quickly8 d6 h+ z% L' q
Solution:: y; p* {' s1 r9 b
• Enter the turning lane, usually the furthest right lane next to the curb, well in advance
% \3 d; f) ~* xof the intersection (half a block or more – two to three light standards).
. `7 M1 E' ^0 A- v2 o7 X4 t. i• Begin slowing down at this point. Don’t just cover the brake - apply a little pressure.3 |  ]$ J, r+ I6 m  l; d" o9 L
• The speed on approach should be about 8 to 10 km/h, or slow enough that it is easy to2 L- O& l: M! R$ F6 A
stop.% A9 h3 l8 ]* E0 I* @
2. Approaching the turn with the vehicle incorrectly positioned in the lane
/ U+ J: j1 H( A5 {% U7 q) XNew drivers will tend to stare at the curb at the intersection. This causes movement( k) _0 j. g  }
toward the curb or away from it. This is not what a driver should do.
3 F1 _) d) o% z$ V* @# r3 ?& wSolution:
- Q- i( G' v6 E• Position the vehicle about one metre from the curb as soon as possible when
5 u/ G4 r  z* U& a" Gapproaching the intersection. Stay parallel with the curb by looking well ahead a& _( ?7 K$ \& U0 R2 q
block or so along the intended path.0 b7 w' N' E) ^" b4 R2 w
3. Taking too long to check the traffic situation in the intersection1 _6 ]* ]/ W6 r3 v: L
New drivers will tend to stare to the left when approaching the intersection while4 k4 R2 M) V5 S
checking for traffic. In the meantime the vehicle is rolling straight ahead into the
" O9 o4 F1 H/ Mintersection, and away from the curb.7 h, L6 {0 i" _0 K! U0 R8 j
Solution:
6 K: _& a4 ?5 G) W7 M( }( _• Quickly glance left while checking for traffic.3 Y% b; ^5 G( u3 A8 _: Z+ v, N
• Check to the right, while adjusting the wheels to stay with the curve of the curb.
2 [4 `! d, C  A+ N• Check for pedestrians and cyclists on the curb.
$ u' x# W% M2 I* x. ?1 [; V• Glance again, to the left, to check for traffic.. C5 i! m8 W8 g1 l' a' \
• If it is not clear, stop.
+ q. c0 g1 u$ j2 u& D1 U8 q• If clear, look well along the intended path, keeping the eyes up, and gently accelerate.% @( z9 g( i& D
Note: Proper visual skills are very important here. New drivers tend to watch the curb  j- R, W: j, E
(because of concerns about running into it), or the line immediately to the left of their
0 ^0 d" O3 e1 [4 O7 j$ ]  ?vehicle as they turn, to avoid the curb. Find a focal point, such as a vehicle parked at the# F. i% z1 F7 {# t! O+ s4 m% q
end of the street, the next set of traffic lights, or a house along the intended path.
1 p, z5 J! y; [( {1 k8 V) l' r) D) NEncourage the learner to focus on this point while completing the turn and gently
; d; \8 P: u4 J0 x55 }! y8 z$ T+ g# ?9 g3 |
accelerating. Proper visual skills and movement are critical to vehicle handling and9 |+ F4 U; i9 M8 M- _
information gathering.2 f! v8 ], f4 i3 p4 T
This turn should be performed at about 10 km/h, not 20 to 25 km/h, as many drivers want
' c* x! p( O% |to do. Trying to do all the things just mentioned above at 20 to 25 km/h is very difficult
7 k$ H% u8 o7 }( `! ]: S# ~and dangerous, and even more dangerous when road conditions are poor.
1 C/ \% }% v- g$ O6# r# M8 w1 P! l3 V$ g& B7 S
B. Left Turns! V. n1 w3 P; }4 O9 ~
New Driver Tendency:
( r$ k" x) l5 M( c+ M9 R• Left turns tend to be performed too widely or too tightly.
8 u1 ~) x8 u9 K4 C& m& ~1 uLeft turns are extremely dangerous, and should be done with caution.
* P: [5 L% q9 v# u1. Approaching the turn too quickly3 X& V- m5 @+ ~+ d
Solution:
, F1 A( d: l* J6 ?• Slow down well back of the intersection, half a block or so.: t" G' k3 _8 A' i
• Use the lane most to the left, nearest the yellow line, or one of the lanes that are
3 g+ J3 T- E* _( {) T' @designated for left turning./ F9 G6 v# n5 A7 d
• Some left turn lane approaches are fairly long and should be used for slowing down
! X+ v" R2 l4 h- D, Z( q0 Qas well as turning.
* q3 v8 y+ i4 a; F6 n0 E! v• If the vehicle in front is in the intersection, stay clear of the intersection, behind the4 _7 g# d- O/ o& a* ?
crosswalk, until that vehicle has cleared it completely.
$ {) I: e0 ^. A4 U5 M, [2. Not knowing the intended path before beginning the turn9 b8 o( y+ V( ~; F0 @' Y5 _
Solution:
) Q6 z  I" |; @• While approaching the intersection scan left, centre, and right for vehicles and other2 V4 K2 o/ z  t. J  P
possible hazards. Scan for the lane the left turn will be made into., ^1 x. k5 \8 w
• Once at the intersection, enter into the intersection far enough that the turn must be( C# _/ q9 H: k9 H/ B* w! E) `3 |
made. Some new drivers will want to stay close to or straddling the crosswalk. This
( P" @( p$ S' y! o% F1 f6 jcan be dangerous, because when the light changes to amber the tendency is to stay in
; m* c6 ?3 ], v4 Ethat spot. New drivers may think that their vehicles are out of the way of cross traffic.
, h. K% k! A. W5 g5 k% p% nIn fact, it is blocking the crosswalk and likely restricting the first lane of traffic that
- V2 G( N3 R. M% W& Swill be crossing in front of the vehicle. Pedestrians will have to walk around the back# p- t4 x, Q$ `/ x' u4 u, T; D
of the vehicle, or even worse, around the front of the vehicle into the first lane of
" n5 C% w/ g- j% n: ~. q% {7 Ctraffic to cross the intersection.
3 j- I$ z2 z- s9 `• Enter the intersection so that the vehicle is about one lane's width from the lane that3 i! l; e' a3 t- ~6 b: {* E
will be used to make the left turn into. Stay there until the intersection is clear or the1 t$ K  c" E: h5 k. u8 c8 v( E4 c: n
light has turned amber and it is safe to proceed. The tendency for new drivers is to
3 r0 `# s: f, Z+ E3 q% ~3 \" e1 ]7 yspot an opening in oncoming traffic where a turn can be made, and then begin rolling. i( Z3 g$ {- b8 i
toward the opening. This changes the vehicle's position in the intersection. Do not
2 J  h2 q6 q4 e, k. U8 j( i0 o. mroll forward until ready to turn.3 N. _4 }, K# M) n2 p# [0 q
• Keep the wheels straight until it is time to do the turn. This is to prevent being pushed
6 m, e) k; e( d$ D9 k) X' mfrom behind into oncoming traffic.
. v6 \; C* {  N- K4 R• When beginning to turn, check left for pedestrians in the crosswalk. If clear, look well
  h! k; e8 @4 K; u, p% {along the intended path toward the next set of traffic lights. The tendency is to focus
- x/ U" g5 l, P) b" r% ^- fon the vehicle to the left of the intended path, the yellow centre line, or the lane
2 S& W: t/ v4 [* ?+ b2 xmarkings. Looking at these objects will cause the learner to go toward them. You go
9 R3 f7 r$ @* G" p: G- m0 |7 Iwhere you look. Remember, proper visual skills and movement is critical to all
  K, N; d& P" ~7 g! hactivities.
1 b: T8 x( c2 T' `# D; z• Accelerate gently while focusing well ahead along the intended path.
6 P+ B. \! k+ }: o3 @78 q$ n3 f. r5 \8 Z( t+ w
Tracking (Position in the Lane), g, l; V2 M6 k! p, M* [6 f" R
New Driver Tendencies:
1 Y9 b. Z% v2 N) K• Difficulty staying centered on a straight road.2 l2 n2 x8 k6 s; z& Q
• Difficulty staying centered on a curve.
& N) v2 n( T4 d/ y% X! X" bWhile traveling on a straight road or a curve, the learner may position the vehicle too
& [+ u# @5 e( k6 _& C" gclosely to the dotted or solid line that divides the lanes, or may cause the vehicle to' c# c5 G3 {, q" t& j" J
wander back and forth in the lane.; _8 @" j+ I( m7 P
1. Difficulty staying centered on a straight road" A4 }- X; b$ A6 M/ J" u
If the learner is having trouble driving down the centre of a straight road, the problem is; Z8 G$ P# K5 _$ T/ [
likely due to where the eyes are focused. Watching the line to the left of the vehicle will2 X+ u! B1 h- z8 u! i) ^  U
cause the vehicle to ride next to the line, or far to the right side of the lane as an attempt
$ V& q8 b; u5 w& ?7 \) N( @to correct the problem.) u) X( }* W3 @; b# x' B8 X
As well, the learner may be very aware of being next to the curb, and end up driving too. w8 b- {* X+ \% ^1 x& R
close to it. The tendency is to stare at the curb, and then drift close to, against it, or to pull
6 E: n' G7 [( K+ K  l( Zaway and avoid it by driving on the left side of the lane.
" k7 z6 W  w7 R5 CSolution:& o7 P6 a% I' q# J2 C5 N: r
• Provide a focal point 15 to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle. For example, have the
9 j" A' N! _. P- r/ }  U1 Plearner identify the color of a set of lights two to three blocks ahead. Staying focused3 a; K- N8 W- l& I% g$ b, q# o
on the focal point for a few seconds will likely result in the vehicle gradually moving. I1 l: S; k6 O
to the centre of the lane.% u* {% E7 j6 s0 t( t# L
Note: Never stare for long periods of time on one object. Scanning from side to side 15* b' U6 o! X/ l% b/ c
to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle is recommended.4 \0 d; }  b  g, S
2. Difficulty staying centered on a curve
5 j  }% t& a4 O+ B( r- N* ?7 VThe tendency, for new drivers, on a curve is to look at the road markings beside the
; I" t! O. C" `2 avehicle. Doing this will make the curve seem sharper than it is and cause the learner to
) w7 W! C% V1 F  O' n% H/ tslow the vehicle down. This will make the learner look even closer at the markings, and
6 V  F4 q/ D; V1 s# X9 fthe problem is made worse.3 ^. p6 i: V) r
Solution:" v& Z7 N/ c! d, _
• Keep the speed where it is safe and within the legal or recommended speed limit.
1 }& \4 r( h+ SLook 7 to 10 seconds around the curve along the intended path. Proper visual skills. J8 |+ B8 E% b4 g9 o  Q
and movement are critical to all safe and effective driving.
0 w) K8 I, ^) _0 Q" N. M4 T8
, X% c7 O; w& GParking- H/ X: \7 `5 d8 d& a
A. Parallel Park8 ]! s* M6 W# H8 B5 x: O1 t" n
New Driver Tendencies:
3 J, M6 y7 Q1 r: C5 X% \+ q8 q• The vehicle is too far from the curb when the park is finished.
- r  W% I0 h# G' e• The vehicle is backed into the curb.. p- Y- c  F/ n* T6 [
1. The vehicle is too far from the curb when the park is finished0 ?3 U, v( R! P, h/ F8 d# r0 y* Y
As in every other aspect of driving, visual skills and movement are very important to
' N' j8 s3 `" C# P4 Z& Tparallel parking.; ~$ I' Q! k, T- _) I' A3 t
Finishing too far from the curb is a result of not allowing the vehicle to travel in reverse
# K9 h7 D$ n, w% Lfar enough while at the 45 degree angle step of the parking process.' U" c( m  {- \6 a: Z7 r
Solution:) c+ x. s5 R3 W+ F
• After backing to the right until the vehicle is at about a 45 degree angle to the curb,
' _# P" u1 Q( `0 ?continue backing with the wheels straight until the right front corner of the vehicle is
: K: Z0 `' p- L- Qin line with the left rear corner of the vehicle that is being parked behind.) `+ H9 q5 |  S. a
• While moving at a crawl or walking speed turn the steering wheel as far left as5 g5 R4 U! W" ~" U
possible, and continue to move at a crawl or walking speed.- ]: L; n9 a. f! Z7 \
Note: The learner should be looking in the direction the vehicle is moving, with quick$ C& E- E3 n) |7 x. y- J# c/ r
glances to the front and all around the vehicle.
, l0 V4 o2 q5 q1 D& P7 J! o1 L2. The vehicle is backed into the curb6 l2 K3 }# E  W+ [* c" H9 Q
This usually is the result of poor judgment of distance, or allowing the vehicle to reach an
( }& P# \" X# g' ~6 w4 oangle greater than 45 degrees before the straight backing step of the parking process.. t* g. c3 x- q5 _. T, ?* @+ Z
Solution:3 S" E- e/ j/ @! }/ f
• It is better for the angle step of the park to be done at 45 degrees or slightly less.
  h% Q, s6 J" e) G* N# U2 jGreater than 45 degrees makes it much more difficult to finish the park within 50
# X: Q& Z; y/ Dcentimetres of the curb without hitting the curb with the right rear tire.
0 @9 E+ }0 M1 T& f• Walk or crawl speed is all that is required.+ Y; y, z5 W9 B, a' @, `
9# {( l' d, R" U% e5 b
B. Downhill Park5 M& s( |; r' b! w/ J, ^
New Driver Tendencies:' g5 g# l& L) v3 C% B& |7 |. e: E
• The tire rubs the curb as the learner tries to get the vehicle close to the curb.
0 \. D% e! ]' e& k# y+ |+ {! J! C• The vehicle is parked with the back end too far from the curb.
  ^# `" J: k. ^1 b+ c• The curb is hit hard as the vehicle moves forward to settle against the curb.+ M" N3 n- z$ D& d3 \) T8 K
The key to a good downhill park is in the approach. Ensuring the vehicle is close and
) A2 K  e3 E6 b) N4 i6 }2 Pparallel with the curb on the approach will ensure the vehicle is close and parallel when
; C: ]. r. t3 {the park is completed.+ a- V8 ?8 P/ V4 q
Solution:, ~8 `: {! @$ r8 Z5 j9 E3 `, z0 `
• Watch where the learner focuses when approaching the curb. The tendency is to raise
% \6 l) C  D& z6 dthe chin and stare at the curb. This will almost guarantee running into it. To avoid, s; O! j/ g  V
running into the curb vision should be directed well down the curb lane with short5 d4 q% P- a, n$ \( _4 q7 S, H3 e
glances to the curb, and small steering wheel adjustments to move the vehicle closer
0 q3 Y% P$ U# u- u  _7 ]to the curb.
% R7 V: ]8 z+ ~+ @3 u• Once the vehicle is close and parallel to the curb, the hands should be at the 9 and 31 K; d6 M1 L2 w8 M( J3 q. N
position on the steering wheel. Turn the wheel half way around (180 degrees) to the7 F& \) B. L: H) B- {4 q
left (touch the forearms together) and roll about half a meter. Now turn hand-overhand
" ]5 }' I8 {! j6 N9 q/ Yall the way to the right as the vehicle rolls slowly to the curb.7 n, w- U' M0 x  n3 _1 C4 \
Caution: There is a strong tendency for new drivers to press on the accelerator when5 Z  P. [2 t/ q# m
steering hard to the right to complete the downhill park. The first couple of downhill
' a' c, P7 v& _6 c- xparks should be done on a slight slope, and with the vehicle in neutral to prevent the( C- Y! O; ]3 ]5 ~5 a; F
vehicle from running up onto the curb.
4 [/ r- l- ~6 Y2 C. \! j  j9 z2 e10
, K( q1 B& ]$ v5 ~0 PC. Uphill Park0 ~( k5 c0 j: d) i$ U: Q
New Driver Tendencies:( h) q% _  K9 @. D9 f0 _. L
• The vehicle is parked with the back end too far from the curb.
+ M( S  v) D- o- i• The curb is rubbed as the learner attempts to get the vehicle close to the curb., d0 g8 b0 o  b  Q8 b$ h; u
The key to a good uphill park is in the approach. Ensuring the vehicle is close and
$ f$ S( H; ~3 D2 \8 C: Yparallel with the curb on the approach will ensure the vehicle is close and parallel when" e8 e& g& b9 @0 W; v0 O' p* D2 O
the park is completed.
: ^; X' \) u" _* z$ a4 Q9 ?/ _Solution:3 q6 r0 [# y0 O# z" ^% H
• Watch where the learner focuses when approaching the curb. The tendency is to raise; {$ y3 T' e2 P0 U# H0 R
the chin and stare at the curb. This will almost guarantee running into it. Vision8 ~6 g  k- K( r! ~
should be directed well down the curb lane with short glances to the curb, and small5 c8 m  B3 r8 c* d8 d1 n
steering wheel adjustments to move the vehicle closer to the curb.
! P& Y8 s# S2 y! Q  i; V) W( V; J( j• Move the vehicle forward very slowly, about one meter, while turning the steering8 t' ]( P3 }3 x0 k' d, d
wheel all the way to the left (just enough to get the wheels all the way to the left).( ?( q: p0 s) |  o9 k7 p& d+ t
• Select reverse and, while covering the brake, back very slowly until the right front tire
2 N: c1 ]) V" Mgently contacts the curb.  |2 S" K6 Q/ J* j! S
Note: Properly completed uphill and downhill parks will look exactly the same when the% k% S% r9 E( ~4 g
passenger door is opened next to the curb. The vehicle should be straight and parallel to
# w7 ?: }% f! w# g$ y) othe curb for uphill and downhill parks.
9 @! I+ |# v3 k11
. ]/ Q+ W$ {8 d# _, i. P! ABraking Too Late, Too Hard, or Too Softly, F4 l. h( I* N
New Driver Tendencies:
6 g/ I0 X3 L$ s7 n( T0 k• The brake is covered an appropriate distance from the stopping point, but no pressure
" G/ S  G8 o1 x% I$ H- \8 Pis applied to the brake, so the speed is not reduced.0 {& ?: c9 U, Q) b7 ]  z
• Poor judgment of distance, speed, and time results in braking too late or too hard.8 Q  Z- k- y4 H5 G3 C
• The new driver looks directly over the hood of the vehicle." b, C* k9 N) w: w4 L6 b
Drivers who look directly over the hood of the vehicle tend to brake hard and late2 e9 {; Z& M" @; I7 q
because their vision is not far enough ahead to assess time and space properly. As the5 B! w) A3 q4 B
vehicle slows down, vision is dropped near to the front of the vehicle. This is the
: C/ H) x% b+ f0 u* H  n0 Wbeginning of poor judgment of speed, time and distance. Vision should remain at eye! F6 W, G4 G7 i" x& t9 ]
level along the intended path.. x! a0 K# @$ e2 m4 Y, ~/ |7 @
Solution:1 G" M& E0 H" m% k* x/ [
• As in other activities, visual skills are critical here. Vision must be kept at eye level
. k$ i' T' o1 B* cand well ahead of the vehicle. Watch the learner's head and chin. If the learner's chin) o/ C6 `; D; D. g0 Z4 g
goes up, the eyes will go down. Keeping the chin level will ensure the vision stays at
' |4 `, V& ?3 Y' S7 C" \8 feye level and well along the intended path.
8 \5 I$ W/ S# F; @, L1 c$ D• When anticipating having to slow down or stop, check the rear view mirror. When
) h4 ?, T# d. ?8 M) G% ocovering the brake, apply some pressure to the brake and reduce to about half of the
6 S5 _* l9 l7 cposted speed. This will help in a couple of areas. If the time and space needed to stop
5 Q0 u* a- P) {5 [or avoid an object has been misjudged, it is safer to brake more in the beginning9 J# B3 `0 H" O4 ^7 @; W/ U
rather than near the required stopping point. As well, if the vehicle behind is
# v% o  |% ~9 o5 ]following too closely, braking sooner will give other vehicles warning and force them
) ]" w5 y5 M) a- F, w2 @* sto slow down well in advance of the required stopping point. This reduces the chance
  ^, n4 C- D0 o. |6 Q0 x$ R  E2 pof being rear-ended.
1 X9 g4 o' V0 O. K5 Q8 h120 v; I* D+ ~  \
Following Too Closely$ W9 i$ D) ~* ~9 L6 J! `1 q/ ~
New Driver Tendency:
2 J( E. g7 g) s# Q) Y+ C* P+ Q• Following the vehicle in front too closely.
0 i  a  d7 u6 I2 _% p5 [0 kThe Driver’s Handbook recommends at least a two-second following distance. This is
' [! Y' m. E- w0 l8 n6 ?good advice, but if a driver is not scanning 15 to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle, two8 j8 s* @$ {4 r1 i3 K
seconds may not be enough, even in good weather conditions.
: _) ?) Y8 W/ x/ ^Solution:2 R+ c7 h8 F* n: T% Y; a7 D
• Have a three to four second following distance to allow time to slow down for the
# P$ Y+ a! i$ L  btraffic in front and additional time to deal with vehicles behind that may be following) S# e9 p+ \# L  G5 e) ~1 r
too closely. Scan 15 to 20 seconds or one and a half to two blocks ahead.
+ `% I* H# \/ Y136 [3 N4 m" q7 g  t$ s+ [4 e
Lane Changing
$ M" D( E4 }5 Y2 ]0 \New Driver Tendencies:# H; B4 s9 n5 j; O
• Slowing down while shoulder checking.
1 ~1 S: B2 w6 y/ h. G• Moving the steering wheel too abruptly or over-steering.' w5 b2 y1 M" C- _8 N4 t
• Looking too long while shoulder checking.* r/ w% m6 {. H$ C
• Moving the steering wheel while shoulder checking.
( s! c7 M* {- y7 q7 b; T9 ]8 T" kProper lane changing requires the following six steps.& g1 ~9 M; O  c" l
1. Check the rear view mirror.
* `3 H. n4 Z1 Q( ^  `" C2. Check the outside mirror.2 w' c( S" C; e# q/ D
3. Shoulder check.! S. i1 f4 e4 I1 k+ J1 j% o
4. Signal, if clear.
9 C3 Q' z% W1 r0 k; x( P3 `6 b# _5. Shoulder check again.* c# ~% D. H. W$ V
6. Move into the next lane, if safe.
+ a. S0 Q7 L" z0 t8 L# y/ [1. Slowing down while shoulder checking
. w3 W7 [0 ^1 X: ^9 r: ]Slowing down is usually the result of the learner doing the first shoulder check, then
3 O8 a* x4 F. [4 n% i9 d9 Ntaking the foot off the accelerator, then checking again and not making the lane change,+ z4 d; u1 z- j3 }1 I9 a% Q; L5 \8 J
or cutting in too abruptly because the gap has closed. Changing lanes is generally nothing
7 O, @1 Z# ^* ^0 [more than changing the vehicle's position on the road. It rarely ever requires slowing9 F+ {% @0 A- i4 E+ p8 ~8 |
down if done where it is safe.
& Z* t' U! X: w, [0 G6 x5 SSolution:
6 Y$ }( D2 u+ Y6 D, ~• Find a stretch of road that has no obstacles, such as curves and traffic lights, for a few
6 \+ f  p; j: W! S/ F- Qblocks.7 A' \" q( u" t9 l( F, _
• Ensure the new driver is at or near the speed limit. Remind the learner not to! A. M: q, S9 C3 y. G3 Y0 O% e
reduce the speed while glancing to the blind spot. This will take a bit of practice, but$ J" `2 J& @4 y$ y7 N
the skill will steadily improve.
( h0 W1 ?. C" E8 q2. Moving the steering wheel too abruptly or over-steering
) f" O4 T' d' v" `& cSolution:8 S4 `7 O/ [/ Z2 S" ^
• Hand position must be at 9 and 3 throughout the entire lane change. New drivers have
$ I, R3 a+ `9 ]# C6 X% la tendency to over-steer (usually because of poor visual skills). A lane change0 ]. f+ I5 g- A9 v" z. C9 ^+ Z
requires nothing more than adjusting the steering wheel so the hand position shifts8 C0 P9 p+ C+ F4 j0 {/ H- x
from the 9 and 3 position to the 8 and 2 position for a left lane change. Lane changes: t8 U  ]5 Q. \! ~* G
to the right would be from the 9 and 3 position to the 10 and 4 position. The hands do# t+ K. X6 z) q/ q, A
not move on the steering wheel, only the steering wheel moves.
: H. c- ]- a% L4 \, k14
6 D; C, x$ B# t; ^9 k5 n7 {7 i3. Looking too long while shoulder checking
* u) ~* c$ _, b6 _6 `( p) M* l& mSolution:) \% Y8 W  w/ s9 q# q; {
• Taking the eyes away from looking forward for too long while the vehicle is in traffic
8 b% M" C8 S, Ais extremely dangerous. It is safer and more effective to perform two shoulder checks
* R* f% t6 @/ v' D+ xwith short glances to the blind spot than it is to stare for several seconds." Z8 @* v" {1 ~, ~7 C9 b
• Quick glances, while maintaining speed, will produce positive results.# I9 ^8 d5 N0 C1 q7 j1 [/ V
4. Moving the steering wheel while shoulder checking
1 C; b+ s) Q3 d( |! q/ ]Solution:8 m+ x# v3 y! @# f. [+ P7 M8 W
• Moving the steering wheel is usually a result of looking too far back when shoulder, V0 j9 z& d. B9 d1 N5 d1 m
checking. New drivers need to be made aware when they are moving the steering3 |2 F( _3 u: j' j8 y5 S4 ?& [
wheel while shoulder checking. Ensure the learner is aware of where the blind spot
- l* z0 S: J, Z4 |+ ?7 D, s+ \9 Pzones are on each side of the vehicle.0 h8 f- q/ Y7 w1 h
Note: Learners will tend to look through the rear window when shoulder checking to the. e0 ~% P, J( h/ \
right. The rear view mirror is used for this. Explain the blind spot zones again to reinforce
& b! F( T) }# U/ j% [where to look when doing shoulder checks.
2 U0 F! `7 W( `- U15
/ o) w/ K5 i+ i8 o# KMerging
: C- N( p: C! p& g1 C% DNew Driver Tendencies:
! s) H. `! L2 h% e5 X+ T  Y( ?, _! i' `, n• Treating the merge like a yield.0 R; X% J) N  a
• Waiting too long to find an appropriate space to fit into.
3 ]! U# M# v1 v1 f' B/ a# n• Travelling too closely to the vehicle in front.% ]3 x% ~$ m# b+ J) ?
• Approaching the merge point too quickly or too slowly., U: h" h5 v/ Q& D4 S
• Trusting that other drivers will cooperate in letting the learner merge.
+ Q& Q/ K3 c. |$ }+ f6 F• Being passive instead of assertive.: g" m9 [5 }, k' n4 l( g7 I
Before doing a high-risk activity, such as merging, demonstrate the activity, draw1 A- @3 a  n$ Q0 S2 f6 c2 c
pictures and have the learner observe the situation when possible.
5 D1 z* W+ `; k: v2 V, ^1. Treating the merge like a yield
7 @7 n( Z7 A& c7 V6 w/ n* G3 PSolution:
$ [* X2 P8 j. u$ C• Yielding and merging are very different, and it is important to understand the
0 _; S: Q1 Z/ ]& vdifference between the two. Merge means to mix or blend with the traffic (a shared+ H% [( ?$ v* \) S6 z) B
responsibility). Yield requires that one of the vehicles must legally allow the other to
3 o- ]' |8 ]0 K: Vproceed to avoid a collision (one vehicle has the right of way).6 [/ d$ ~& ~. z
2. Waiting too long to find an appropriate space to fit into
, s, b# q6 D4 v; l( Y- GSolution:
+ G2 a6 p+ K  l3 N% i* V• Finding an appropriate space to merge should begin as soon as the lane where the
/ Z; `9 ^  ]) |/ i+ [0 Amerge will take place comes in to view. When this can be seen, planning begins for
5 f( X5 `- s) Pthe merge. At this point, the learner needs to pick a spot to fit into, and to continue to
8 i+ j. G( e) x0 O* F6 oglance left to check for the merge location. The learner will have to be assertive, not
! P3 u. a0 R& B$ }& kaggressive. This is a situation that requires the learner to take charge and show clear
9 H) P7 H; D8 F! \5 i  G, ?' v+ Iintention to merge with the flow of traffic.
9 b' Q& @7 p: q* x9 s3. Travelling too closely to the vehicle in front
4 G& x  o) g2 O" {Solution:, V2 q3 A" }  e0 E$ t8 D8 f
• When planning the merge, the learner needs to leave a two to three second following$ _6 a1 y" ]( ?; b% w8 ^
distance (longer if conditions are poor) between their vehicle and the vehicle in front.
& z+ r9 F' y1 N9 HMany drivers do not know how to merge properly (see 1). Many experienced drivers0 l5 v5 O, |+ P4 F& S4 i
treat merging like a yield, and will come to a stop due to poor planning. Following
9 i6 D* p% `* q) {" |3 m' ~6 jtoo closely will greatly increase the possibility of a collision. As the learner is
' T5 O7 t- e2 uglancing for an opening in traffic, the vehicle in front may stop.( U% x. {# A7 ]+ T3 G1 k
4. Approaching the merge point too quickly or too slowly4 O& U1 m7 M1 a& x. Z
Solution:6 ^4 l! o) W! N. r, {3 \
• The learner needs to remember this is a merge, not a yield. There are no yield or stop$ p9 V3 Z8 u: P5 l% [1 x5 \
signs. Stopping is a last resort and usually the result of poor planning. One sign seen9 \& A  N7 v" _
on the approach to the merge is a speed limit sign that will indicate what speed should
0 x& m8 c* @# }& |8 G) D16/ a  }! i$ e( z2 s$ p, M$ K
be travelled to merge safely. If drivers were required to yield or stop, there would
' k  q5 s. ~) G" i+ ]1 w1 t5 {2 X5 ~1 fnot be a sign encouraging an increase in speed. Speed should be increased to near
! m2 a* M( N9 V+ Mor at the suggested speed. (The speed may have to be adjusted a little to match the2 @8 r- a; _. Y  W
chosen entry location.)
5 w6 V# I0 J1 `. j/ l; B  K5. Trusting that other drivers will cooperate in letting the learner merge
! }$ r# U8 N0 g  z9 q3 {Solution:" P: J1 K. ^, E2 \
• Other motorists are looking for the driver who is merging to communicate clearly
  l# f* }3 O" Y+ swhat is being planned. Turn on the signal light. Be assertive. If there is hesitation,
  X- G3 e9 w" M8 Q9 k% aother drivers will be unsure about what the learner is planning to do. The learner5 `) S+ w9 u0 N# r: I
needs to communicate clearly that he or she is going to merge, and other motorists# f$ f5 F7 D, I* A% i! N
will make room by moving ahead, slowing down, or changing lanes. Remember, a& ^) D  ~5 M8 Y9 D: I5 \7 X! Y- I" {0 X
large number of licensed drivers do not know all the rules of the road. Not everyone
5 {- f, V- r% z. nunderstands that merging is a shared responsibility, therefore there is no right-of-way., i  b$ H8 g$ F5 B
6. Being passive instead of assertive" A/ T) J( w6 p. O& F" a" W. O
Solution:5 L# ^7 x( U4 {& A7 O& f/ {
• Taking a passive approach can communicate to other drivers that the learner is unsure' D& F" |* \0 w5 N0 N$ d
about what to do. This causes confusion, poor planning, and poor decision-making.0 X# L* G* z1 l2 S9 F" U
Be assertive! Take charge! Take control!0 f) G; u* X. {4 W
171 ~+ a+ X: u9 E5 r( M1 \5 O
Traffic Circles" r" c# B6 f, H0 `* m" s
New Driver Tendencies:
! P6 K# r2 K) r  f1 B• Approaching the traffic circle too quickly.
9 T$ D  [9 n( w/ T, {8 q• Not glancing to the left when approaching the traffic circle.
- p5 }4 ]+ Q6 V8 H7 z& o• Staring at the concrete triangle island divider to the left when approaching or exiting
, ^0 l  B: S* u6 F& Y3 tthe traffic circle.
+ J+ g3 @3 P/ n) ?1 r• Staring at the left curb, or the white dotted lane markings to the right, while going
7 m" v" j& W# q& m, Y. ?, uaround the traffic circle.
0 o: }, F" e& P+ m• Trying to go further than the first exit in the right (outside) lane.
' p+ U( }) B$ ]% N9 x2 |; G9 a• Attempting to exit the circle using the right (outside) lane from the left (inside) lane.
; N- V7 ^2 C2 J2 a• Travelling around the circle too quickly.
6 p4 D7 i+ p" H3 b7 B4 r' r0 \* g4 y. {Before doing a high-risk activity, such as traffic circles, demonstrate the activity, draw
. ^6 q; o! ]$ h3 u0 V5 u4 D2 |pictures and have the learner observe the situation when possible.7 D* p, L, z# d0 A
1. Approaching the traffic circle too quickly5 b  A% b6 n8 |% q8 v3 L3 d
Solution:
% f. \+ j3 g& e, f  g# f1 R+ ^3 u• Braking should begin about half a block (two to three light standards) from the traffic
* Z# x# o2 ^/ m4 e5 R8 F2 s1 p* R: Ucircle. At this point, cover the brake and apply some pressure to slow to roughly half* p& V5 t+ n( F7 m
of the posted speed. Many new drivers will cover the brake at the appropriate distance
. T2 H4 Q# }$ z! J$ ?but are still coasting near the same speed. Approach at 10 to 15 km/h, not 20 to 250 N7 l6 l4 e. f: T' @
km/h. This allows for proper scanning and assessing, and time to plan for other6 s# o) G5 I/ O/ A
vehicles following too closely behind.
( c% Z# ?$ f6 s; \7 V& ~2. Not glancing to the left when approaching the traffic circle
" p% h" J) J! D) BSolution:
5 s  b: `9 A5 ^6 R! }0 Z9 S• The traffic circle should be approached slowly so that the following steps can be' g$ z$ `* t) W. g- B/ ^
done easily.1 Z, c# o" o; ?, O8 o' E' v# U- I, V
• Signal well in advance of the circle.
8 `* w) S, c( v9 f, G) l/ [• Assess the traffic flow ahead, behind, and especially to the left in the circle.
; B' U% ]# e+ i( ~. m1 v• Decide whether there is enough time and space to continue into the circle, or if a% ~& e8 q8 x  k
stop will be required.- j9 n( a+ W$ y
3. Staring at the concrete triangle island divider to the left when- W" R7 P# s( m( g% b; ^
approaching or exiting the traffic circle: M2 ^- z- h( N6 q" F  M  s# {
Solution:
# T/ r7 @) s% E: r$ r• Proper visual skills are crucial to all driving activities. Approaching too quickly will
8 ~" k, G# a9 @. R% r# Finterfere with the learner's ability to perform all the necessary actions to ensure safe
, ^# F, K! C, r. O4 o' W9 E( Ruse of the traffic circle. The learner should be aware of the divider, but not stare at it.
! u+ A, o; s- s8 lScanning should be done on the approach to the circle, from the left to right, checking  e7 O4 R  O9 l" f
for a safe opening and for pedestrians.' M" ?" r* J' N# m% A! ?6 [# @) C/ K+ R
186 I% Y7 r2 k1 ?0 h" I0 \
4. Staring at the curb on the left while going around the traffic circle$ e- S/ D# O, J3 B7 h3 g
Solution:
. e) d( ~  k5 E7 d8 o• New drivers will be very nervous about contacting the curb to the left of their0 y  E6 e- q+ U6 D
vehicles when they travel in the left lane around the traffic circle. Due to their( U: H$ i5 I. p$ F8 S. O! b9 y5 j
nervousness about the curb, they will be very focused on it. This will cause them to
" ~  Y$ o# `: U8 [move towards it. Here is that vision and movement issue. Encourage the learner to, M. V/ Z8 ?# `9 E9 V' P# K
look around toward the next exit and make only small steering wheel adjustments.! x! ?! N' M9 ^  S; y  X& U' S5 E
Vision should be aimed high.
  g7 K/ L, ]  H; C: R7 u) e5 @4 X- U- @5. Trying to go further than the first exit in the right (outside) lane
. X. W7 j4 G& _! j- JSolution:
: U/ y7 i+ c% ?• Although this is legal, it is not recommended, especially for new drivers. New drivers$ \5 y3 D9 r/ j6 H" d: {9 P& E( t
are focused on the basics of keeping the vehicle moving, and staying on the road.
+ G' ?' [2 H/ x1 o* XUnnecessary high-risk activities should be avoided until the learner has more
3 L0 p& @* c& w* ]experience.1 r( T* `; K0 @' R2 c  d9 i
6. Attempting to exit the circle using the right (outside) lane from the left
5 y( s8 e! T; I+ \(inside) lane
7 ^; g* m) W* q0 H& q0 e; bSolution:
/ P# V  n- d' g$ X• Don’t. Some new drivers will try to change lanes while in the traffic circle and to exit$ O3 y3 }; P! Y0 g% S4 o
a traffic circle from the left lane using the right lane, even after discussing it. This$ b; A5 T- W1 s% @4 }! x
comes up very often, and is very likely to happen as you coach the learner. Anticipate% Q- M7 {) g2 S, o
this problem, and remind the learner while going around the circle that the exit must
) S0 `; d( ^: V) j; Xbe done in the proper lane. A good rule of thumb is 'enter using the left lane, exit0 O) Z/ s8 l! D
using the left lane' and 'enter using the right lane, exit using the right lane.'  K8 z. D, Y/ B9 _
7. Travelling around the circle too quickly5 t! \4 u' m  U+ l
Solution:% d+ s9 S0 W8 h3 d% R( K- c# b7 p
• Many new drivers, when nervous and unsure, will increase their speed in an attempt7 {8 u# U  w/ ~' S
to get through the exercise more quickly. This tendency is very strong in traffic3 V* B! ], R: G. U) G3 v2 X
circles. Usually because they are accelerating to get in, they continue to drive around
: Z; D# V: X  q6 {' s7 {the circle quickly. Once in the traffic circle slow down to a speed that allows the
3 d7 p9 U' P( X' a6 V3 T/ t6 kvehicle to be easily controlled.5 t- c  F, [; A7 H) V
: f1 x1 D  A7 U2 w3 c# IIntersections (Anticipating the Light)
, D! U: U$ n9 J- |" \/ F  yNew Driver Tendencies:* k5 m6 R5 F) x
• Not recognizing the fresh (okay to walk) or stale (do not walk) light situation early
6 n4 c( `  g! ?% Oenough.
. O: [) h+ x; ^3 z• Not understanding what the amber (yellow) light means.
; y5 V; p( B5 l8 B' ?7 T+ I- _• Hoping the light doesn’t change to amber versus anticipating it changing.- o4 p- V7 c# I* s( f: a: }, j
• Not understanding the point-of-no-return.' E7 ]% h6 }, [5 ]3 m
• Not scanning to the front, side, and rear.: G. A. N7 F1 u) i
1. Not recognizing the fresh (okay to walk) or stale (do not walk) situation early
' A: M$ J4 p/ Y7 ], J. menough
0 D# V4 |& x: }/ A2 B2 ~2 U" NSolution:
. U. I1 k, n) A5 k+ ]1 \; |5 O  B• Identify whether the light has become stale (the Don’t Walk light is on), or if it is
8 V/ f' m& Q- C7 n8 Vfresh (legally okay to cross the street). This is a very important part of deciding how  g$ l2 ^, E: a- x, M* C
to handle the traffic light. Note this from as far away as one block (8 to 10 seconds).( H% A1 _" C5 \( r- P- Q
• If the traffic light is fresh, continue within the speed limit, but be aware that the
* t6 q8 t3 x$ ~5 R% T: Mlight may turn to stale.' V1 [+ X  U, }6 L
• If the traffic light is stale, check the rear view mirror, and cover the brake. The stale
$ }$ _9 K4 t8 }$ L% z' olight is the first warning that it will soon be changing to amber. By now the vehicle is
. C9 q0 J# |' q1 E0 W, Rlikely half a block (two or three light standards) from the intersection.) ^& J+ A8 n# B% A& Y
• Covering the brake does a few things. First, removing the foot from the gas pedal
( {& i9 U; q0 v* i' T; B! Nallows gravity to take over, gradually slowing the vehicle. Secondly, the braking' L# W" L$ t0 O4 y" U4 E: p+ v
reaction time is lessened because the brake is already covered. Thirdly, the learner's
: y9 ^; t8 |" y  F0 t7 E2 cfocus is now on a possible stop, as opposed to running the light or slamming on the6 Q7 ?! A0 t1 o8 O3 v5 B) |
brakes.
# @" H  o2 n& B. ^/ p3 m2. Not understanding what the amber (yellow) light means.* W4 l7 {- z( X# p# y5 @
Solution:. e* I% F& E' A
• When approaching the traffic light, amber should be treated as prepare to stop, so2 h# Q2 n/ C$ U3 [# E- r
covering the brake is a good proactive move.' S- T/ O9 h8 F  U1 C7 x- N
• If the vehicle is in the intersection (waiting to turn left), then amber means clear the+ ]$ s: [1 P: C! _
intersection when it is safe., I& ?( A7 I! q' l. H
3. Hoping the traffic light doesn’t change to amber versus anticipating it
) `2 `0 H9 T9 M: O  {changing- R: i3 ~- O" _, N
Solution:
' _4 v( s3 r$ `; d' ]• New drivers are anxious about approaching traffic lights that may change. Some
0 q; _- _3 m  a. t7 d! Gdrivers go faster and try to get through the light instead of slowing and preparing to
# Z, r3 I; t; Y: b9 Dstop. The learner should plan to stop. If it turns out that stopping isn't
: W) y1 V1 b; X- x$ enecessary…great.& Q/ ~* q; `! C$ [+ p! ^; s1 t
20/ E. ]3 J9 c. C) N" B
4. Not understanding the point-of-no-return0 ^7 Y( t3 ?) I; K5 y. v% O2 D2 B7 p
Solution:+ x1 S1 {; [/ s6 {7 _% `5 E
• Scan the area to determine the ‘point-of-no-return’. There is no exact point, but there% y- g: `6 }0 Q) \
is an area or range a short distance before the intersection where the driver must, D/ R% m/ H* b8 Z
decide if it is possible to stop safely before the crosswalk or intersection. At this point6 L$ H( I& s0 N9 x2 t
the driver has made a ‘decision to continue’.
$ q2 e& ~. U* Q8 TThis requires good judgment and experience. Many things must be assessed before
8 f5 q! N! Q# s; s. N9 S3 ymaking this decision, such as speed, road conditions, traffic volume, visibility, and- A4 v& ?" B  M# q: h
even the condition of the vehicle, especially the tires.* t) W( P, b8 ?2 r$ _) |
5. Not scanning to the front, side, and rear" O% o7 S1 {+ i  g' \* }
Solution:- }( Y; V" w7 I$ _- }% ~
• Scanning should be done all the time when driving. When approaching a traffic light,
' o- @8 b, d2 |/ P8 a; [scan well before the intersection. While the learner is deciding whether to proceed or9 y2 u' O! ]9 M7 z) n: `
stop at the intersection, it is wise to know what is happening on the adjacent roadway
" @; A: s, u* N4 U2 T% ?6 I  nand behind the vehicle.# \9 o  _  c# s8 s! U
0 \# @1 C0 w- ?4 aManual Transmissions( Q6 [, Z2 Q, F3 f! t
New Driver Tendencies:
1 q: N3 H: f  z& s3 C3 C  @1 |• Over-revving the engine while finding the friction point.- _: A8 _' p( W* x
• Stalling too often.2 X* h3 r& ?" E( S% g
• Rough shifting and difficulty finding gears.
$ I5 g7 |: a+ x% z! q  b$ J1. Over-revving the engine while finding the friction point6 O8 Z& V' G) m# S; `
New drivers seem to have the idea that the only way to make a manual shift (standard)$ C- h1 X. O1 e* M9 d" H9 Y
vehicle move is to co-ordinate ‘the clutch and the accelerator’. This is not necessary. This' O1 q4 [6 U9 l# ?1 t% G4 F
approach creates huge anxiety in new drivers and coaches. New drivers hear the engine2 k; z7 O" e  x: i/ z: y
revving and are afraid that once the clutch engages, the vehicle is going to bolt from its
1 ^' o$ p+ Q& r; aspot like a 747. No wonder new drivers remove their feet from the accelerator and
9 F4 J' K0 Y" m" b8 a. u9 H0 vdepress the clutch to the floor.
% c- }4 V" S! y6 C7 z  bSolution:' y; ~/ k1 e: }4 ?- u8 t6 {  m
• For the first hour, in a large parking lot, do not use the accelerator to make the+ w$ s, m7 v3 b
vehicle move. The vehicle idles fast enough that no gas is required. Teach the learner
. h' r& K* p# H9 o. Nto find the friction point, without gas, to move forward.( t% A" ~* s% G0 a+ ~3 m5 t
• The key is to put the vehicle in first gear, with the clutch depressed. Using no gas,
' [0 B7 O' D3 _& X2 ~2 Wslowly release the clutch, until the vehicle starts to pull.1 p# w5 h6 @& F' |, @1 g
• Pause at the friction point. Allow the vehicle to start moving while slowing moving
# d3 A! N& ^8 ?4 u' sthe clutch (in millimetres).9 D$ c8 O* v' M7 _: j
• As the vehicle slowly gains speed, without gas, and moves three or four meters
( r6 n4 a- t2 R4 W' dforward, slowly release the clutch all the way out.4 p" w5 K. P* v+ S* W& X( a
• Becoming familiar with the friction point, and what it can do, is critical to the
$ Y0 t  [5 S  j6 G: Tlearning process. Using the no gas method provides for a better feel for the friction5 D* D$ |6 [3 C' A
point, with little or no anxiety that results from the revving engine.
9 j# E$ F# M# h& IA good rule of thumb for using the clutch is the 4-S rule. The only reasons for depressing  h8 ^3 t8 A  s8 L7 Z
the clutch are to:0 T% O& M  i& ?/ _
Start (ignition) the vehicle.; j1 O5 `6 n$ c. d) l( I6 r5 a
Start to move the vehicle in first gear.1 [0 Y: m) |1 ^3 u# y8 K
Shift gears.( G: N  g7 M# Y& [" D/ b& ^
Stop./ B) X$ G1 i& k* \% B
2. Stalling too often3 ~% l8 L' D7 u3 l1 N! b' _
Solution:
0 O2 }3 s  @7 Q• Stalling is usually due to the new driver releasing the clutch too quickly. Often this
8 S3 j! P6 p9 h# a) }happens as a result of anxiety, especially the first time in traffic. The key to not3 f! n: G5 h. U+ j8 K
stalling is to release the clutch to the friction point, hesitate with the clutch for three
9 _8 Y! G9 |, W- V$ d- |1 {to four meters, and then slowly release the clutch all the way. Hesitating at the
: ^# T! f5 W; m1 g% O8 E5 C/ ~; zfriction point as the vehicle starts moving is very important.
- [, A1 ~7 ~+ t& @) Z22
4 }( j2 _7 n: c4 d, c) v2 v( X3 {3. Rough shifting and difficulty finding gears# i3 y+ d% Y) O3 q1 ?
This often is a result of the new driver’s grip on the gearshift, and the desire to get the
( L) O, g6 v; Y* Ushifting over with as quickly as possible. The tendency for new drivers is to make a fist  V; C5 U8 E2 `
on the gear selector knob. This tends to increase the tension and forces shifting. The gears
+ q' H. F+ S7 G/ h8 Y( N8 dare synchronized and it requires nothing more than a relaxed open palm grip on the gear5 Y6 ?6 @5 `8 D( B6 C9 K, x
selector.0 U& U5 Q+ i6 x( U4 p. R
Solution:1 ?. H4 Y5 S4 i6 a0 A4 Q
• Slow the shifting process by taking three to four seconds to depress the clutch, shift, A' t$ o; m) e
from one gear to the next, and slowly release the clutch. Slowing the process will also6 A$ _; X1 V4 S: a: o1 B* Y0 h# U( a+ y
reduce some of the anxiety.: i/ f# j7 E1 ~, {8 }
1 o, L! h5 r+ ]5 u1 p/ {% z
[ 本帖最后由 billzhao 于 2008-3-1 01:01 编辑 ]
鲜花(40) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2008-3-30 18:56 | 显示全部楼层
好贴慢慢看
鲜花(3) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2009-8-25 14:56 | 显示全部楼层
very good! thanks!
鲜花(79) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-13 12:54 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
good post
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-21 17:10 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(48) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-21 17:15 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 scuba1995 于 2011-5-21 18:16 编辑 5 M; v4 r8 L0 {" [8 O

7 }8 A. e! ^, E* X) Z8 s3 V 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。
老柳教车
鲜花(57) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-22 19:54 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。
' o3 K6 l* P% q) G% P4 iscuba1995 发表于 2011-5-21 18:15
. e) F0 l! L) B/ a: Z4 A
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-22 20:59 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-5-23 21:19 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(10) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2013-7-3 22:16 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-7-18 17:00 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2014-3-26 22:26 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2014-11-18 05:07 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(2) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-1-29 11:58 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:08 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:08 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:09 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:10 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:11 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:11 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:14 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:15 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
理袁律师事务所
鲜花(330) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:22 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
谢谢分享~~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-27 22:47 , Processed in 0.158960 second(s), 39 queries , Gzip On, APC On.