Parallel 8+ m) ]: g4 `* H- t
Downhill 9( }: v) K& G" w+ Z
Uphill 10% n3 p) A2 g) g! U& R) M1 G
Braking Too Late, Too Hard, or Too Softly 11
, }1 [2 f( W, U: o. I$ c( BFollowing Too Closely 12% B5 p/ _! e% H) L
Lane Changing 13
$ a1 a) v0 |/ b) [  U: b  gMerging 15
6 i" }  X8 H9 b/ VTraffic Circles 17
8 w( W2 D! w! n2 q# TIntersections (Anticipating Light Changes) 19, j$ I4 `- F8 u  @1 [- x7 N
Manual Transmissions 21
. _% n0 ~  H3 o. B2  W" y+ J, o. W/ D4 A7 t0 @
Introduction2 \0 Y2 V$ e( ~4 \& b
This information is provided as supplemental material for Geared To Go: A Workbook. j( k( H# y( Q
for Coaching New Drivers.  }' U# H' X6 W! E7 a4 E
As a coach (parent) of a new driver you will face many challenges. Learners experience9 M2 j7 ^3 s, L; W. t9 V
problems in similar areas. This web site explores these tendencies* and common! ~+ W  N* ^6 s
problems, and explains how to coach the learner to correct problems or to avoid problems
+ T1 n$ G* a2 S, w  L9 q6 Ifrom developing and re-occurring.. [$ e3 r6 e0 d$ ]  M; \
*Tendency – a proneness to a particular kind of thought or action
! [0 v( T7 D- r/ k$ oVisual Skills5 k5 X% D! z! j  y
Visual skills are the root of almost every success or failure in driver education and
# G: e' `; d8 q2 ]3 V6 c, Mtraining. Visual skills are the driver’s awareness of where to look and when. Good
& i4 R& ]2 G7 R: c5 o& D$ Gvisual skill habits should be developed in the early stages of learning and need to be
( z( O2 Z+ O" areinforced continually until they become habit. Proper visual skills while the vehicle is in$ R5 h/ c! ~; R5 _& H
motion (vision and movement) are the basis for developing most other aspects of
" G% L8 H  v, s- t  X7 Q* B' Einformation gathering and vehicle handling.
" Q0 a3 z( ]% r6 g- ?( ^Identifying focal points will help the new driver. Focal points are objects ahead or
2 Q4 k$ q% \4 W2 Vbehind the vehicle that are used to ensure the driver is looking far enough away from the
1 R) w: S, P1 i, X  t  @  Z% tvehicle in the direction of travel to allow for planning for potential hazards. Traffic lights
( L" A6 y- g& l, c5 s1 b1 ztwo to three blocks ahead are an example of a focal point.
. n. S4 W! P" E  k; J) tScanning is your field of vision all around the vehicle. By scanning ahead, behind, and
/ Q3 k: x+ u( Q  E- h. _  [* Earound the vehicle valuable information is gathered to help the driver assess changing
% b9 }* p$ a  a" ~$ A. I5 F# isituations and allow proactive planning to avoid or reduce potential risks. Learning where
0 @% ~$ f% \, ~to scan is a very important skill for the new driver to develop. Knowing where to look is% I' `5 H" j2 W3 ]  [7 B9 p, c
the key.  y5 g  k1 E0 z" _( S
When the activity ahead is turning or travelling on a straight road, suggest focal points,% t! @" x( N! U& }* ?8 K# ]
such as the next set of lights, or a vehicle at the end of the street, to develop proper visual, C9 ^8 S' U( ?# V
skills.
' Y6 X7 S# S% h) S2 gWatch for the learner's chin being raised. This is not helpful for correct vision.
2 U( i5 c$ `" P( p# nRemember, if the chin is up, the eyes are down. This is easier to detect when the learner: ^$ W& A* b) {( r4 f) U$ M
is practicing parking.
7 R, O3 w1 Z" V/ a+ C0 ^Good visual skills require checking the rear view mirror regularly. Checking every five to& p, L& j6 H% D- H1 B& l
eight seconds, or about every block, is a good habit to develop to allow planning when
$ \( J& C1 J' \& g1 j2 gstopping or slowing.* O& ~2 t& y" z: o6 J" n# C4 W
Many drivers, whether new or experienced, will check the rear view mirror when7 O+ M1 E" d+ Q# d
braking. This is a good idea, but it is not planning ahead. A driver who is scanning 15 to
2 X5 A( K$ R2 Y& u  k4 m20 seconds ahead will receive information about what is happening in advance of being
% g/ s# p8 g/ b" U% x: {* p( Sthere. If the traffic light one and a half to two blocks ahead is stale (the Don't Walk light
& Z2 |- b7 A8 O# ?3: _! A9 r1 d* Y* i0 Z0 e7 |, |
is on), it is safe to assume it will be red by the time the vehicle is at the intersection., f& l8 j# d7 I$ J$ v
Teach the learner to anticipate stopping or slowing for the situation ahead. This is an. I; ?, C6 ]( ]" |
ideal time to check the rear view mirror, and plan for what is happening behind. This is a3 G* D3 c# j) Y  F3 e# H9 b
better time than when braking hard at the light, wondering if a stop is possible, and1 @4 \- M( m0 X( l
hoping the vehicle behind, that likely began braking later than you, can stop.; ]0 O! r; A( C' v
Commentary Driving
: j& l- Y5 l+ cCommentary driving is a very effective tool for both the learner and the coach.7 ]0 L) {# V% u' n/ @5 A
Encourage the learner to say out loud what is being seen and planned. This takes away a% c6 A/ L0 k5 N5 h" D
lot of the guessing and assuming by the coach. For some new drivers, talking and driving
5 C% B; q5 l- {& t& k. W$ Swill seem difficult in the beginning. However, it will become easier with practice.
; M: Y% Y: q1 K% k3 RDo not expect the learner to speak continually. Provide an example of topics to talk
- H# z3 _4 P* u+ G7 K4 ]2 jabout. Identify the possible hazards, traffic signs, traffic lights, and so on. The goal is to. }9 ^! d! s% y' k% f
ensure that the learner is scanning far enough ahead (one to two blocks) and checking1 ], P3 q5 L/ |( b) J
behind the vehicle.
7 c% z/ E3 v5 F& W2 N' U0 B4 Z1 ]When the learner has improved at identifying important aspects of driving, expand the* U; b2 k4 E! v" L! _
commentary driving to include the action that will be taken to deal with the recognized! c' o7 p2 ~& Y8 R9 g! B3 {0 Q. X  y! H
hazard." l9 t& ?; L# y! z& @
It may be necessary to limit the commentary driving to 15 to 30 seconds in the beginning.
2 J! {. ?% p  q" t  {/ I1 `The time can be extended to longer periods as the learner improves. Another method is to# h- S& q. v- a2 k, D2 u& g9 W
have the learner identify traffic signs or traffic lights for a specified number of lights or
% `& B, n, m/ x& O" c/ R$ rblocks. It is important for some new drivers to know that the commentary will end at a, A* }$ R, a/ {. o3 d
specific point or time.
6 }# Q$ u6 d( p0 {2 P! ADemonstrations, Pictures, and Observing
1 t: |8 K; \0 z6 Z. y1 FBefore doing a high-risk activity, such as merging and traffic circles, demonstrate the, B# B3 t% E8 B$ Y7 v1 ^/ ?
activity, draw pictures to explain it, and have the learner observe the situation when9 E) n7 S1 N) h# g
possible.
2 q) J8 o! z9 P, n2 x; wFind a location on a quiet street to preview the activity with demonstrations and
' I) y' g( \" gdiagrams, where the learner can focus without other distractions. This gives the learner
" A& W+ @3 A1 Q# @: N# ^+ Ythe opportunity to ‘visualize’ the activity prior to attempting it. Provide thorough
& A4 o) F. ]! T  S/ S9 K( C+ Wexplanations in a logical sequence. To ensure all the information has been understood
& Z2 v5 T# w) u1 m% o! m7 r- Hhave the learner repeat (paraphrase) what has been learned. Their feedback should be
  J7 B9 z! C( [+ k! u" ^7 n9 J8 [specific. Encourage the learner to ask questions at this point.' I6 v' }( I- i
Observation is another very effective method for learning and teaching. Park the vehicle- u8 R0 h; F0 T' d( F4 b
in a safe place where the activity can be watched for a few minutes. Encourage the" e( k- W7 m8 n& o
learner to ask questions about what the learner has observed.
) Z* o  o. O8 p! c. d. g% m; `9 S4
% R* K/ f4 e6 M8 G. QTurns% r, Z( \! {# M
A. Right Turns( e; q; F. P4 O2 B" f( t! |
New Driver Tendency:9 u: |2 m+ |( ^' l
• Right turns tend to be performed too widely or too tightly, due to the following.
" g( _+ \% C+ E, q% ^1. Approaching the turn too quickly$ i3 Y8 C/ [6 ?: W0 _
Solution:5 c7 r' V6 o9 M# d7 Y
• Enter the turning lane, usually the furthest right lane next to the curb, well in advance4 u# ~- o1 Y. l* A- b/ b- U
of the intersection (half a block or more – two to three light standards).
8 `  s2 V& s6 c, j0 u  w% h• Begin slowing down at this point. Don’t just cover the brake - apply a little pressure.
/ [% P$ T- m% J' o* f1 I• The speed on approach should be about 8 to 10 km/h, or slow enough that it is easy to
$ z! z- E( ?& D  |stop.$ r7 D: c+ x- W9 _4 e. _
2. Approaching the turn with the vehicle incorrectly positioned in the lane) B# H! C. N9 t
New drivers will tend to stare at the curb at the intersection. This causes movement$ P5 ^' }4 C, g% j2 @% V# M
toward the curb or away from it. This is not what a driver should do.# R3 W& Q# g7 h2 Z) t6 }' Q
Solution:9 g2 d" p( W1 K4 y% e5 G
• Position the vehicle about one metre from the curb as soon as possible when! Y/ |3 @6 A! F8 z+ Y
approaching the intersection. Stay parallel with the curb by looking well ahead a
6 ]) g) ?. e$ n- c2 _" e+ y6 kblock or so along the intended path.7 w: H% M1 W( |. B0 Y6 a9 N
3. Taking too long to check the traffic situation in the intersection- P  v, {' f' h# g! q$ Y* m
New drivers will tend to stare to the left when approaching the intersection while. o, _- X  K. N
checking for traffic. In the meantime the vehicle is rolling straight ahead into the+ {$ k2 E/ ?* J' N
intersection, and away from the curb.8 G0 Q/ u4 m. N4 l( l, n7 D& l! o
Solution:
6 h# f% x5 `$ D• Quickly glance left while checking for traffic.
* s0 x; d6 c+ K& N$ ?• Check to the right, while adjusting the wheels to stay with the curve of the curb.  C4 t% D# B6 M% Q4 h4 Z
• Check for pedestrians and cyclists on the curb.6 p1 s% m/ q7 R9 @/ a$ W* T. I
• Glance again, to the left, to check for traffic.  I. b7 ?* r* O9 j+ Y. L- z
• If it is not clear, stop.
" s3 w! e: u- M0 G8 l' z. |• If clear, look well along the intended path, keeping the eyes up, and gently accelerate.
& C9 B% t2 h8 `2 TNote: Proper visual skills are very important here. New drivers tend to watch the curb
* V# C9 A! U+ G, W; K(because of concerns about running into it), or the line immediately to the left of their
' [! n9 j) B5 n7 _" E' Fvehicle as they turn, to avoid the curb. Find a focal point, such as a vehicle parked at the7 Z0 U" L7 Z* B: g4 u( }6 x  V; U7 j2 u
end of the street, the next set of traffic lights, or a house along the intended path.
2 J: ?! j: i( G- HEncourage the learner to focus on this point while completing the turn and gently
/ Z8 c, T# @, I* O9 A& V5
4 y- _  Z' n9 S7 Z9 |) c4 Eaccelerating. Proper visual skills and movement are critical to vehicle handling and
& {9 _/ v3 P7 t( uinformation gathering.
3 q# N' N1 Q  F, G5 pThis turn should be performed at about 10 km/h, not 20 to 25 km/h, as many drivers want
3 w; ?7 t& h4 R: D# m( Sto do. Trying to do all the things just mentioned above at 20 to 25 km/h is very difficult/ _( q+ }1 h2 p0 m
and dangerous, and even more dangerous when road conditions are poor.
0 B3 k* y$ M4 ^6
: B+ F2 B! P7 KB. Left Turns
' A( Y& a# H8 H/ s& JNew Driver Tendency:% F& A$ i( C6 O6 y' w5 ~
• Left turns tend to be performed too widely or too tightly.
9 |. p/ q5 U; p4 vLeft turns are extremely dangerous, and should be done with caution.2 V* M: c3 P* H" h: _5 p8 A
1. Approaching the turn too quickly
7 _& l% o' H1 X  j4 c$ M1 Q' N6 mSolution:
2 _3 _: O* h+ }$ H" i• Slow down well back of the intersection, half a block or so.2 r9 n; l- i6 o, G; S# M
• Use the lane most to the left, nearest the yellow line, or one of the lanes that are: h" r5 p9 F  q& ^5 E) V4 w4 F
designated for left turning.
! E/ b- }  M3 t- A8 Z9 \- e, Q• Some left turn lane approaches are fairly long and should be used for slowing down% w& M  z$ M% Z  ?. e% z' i
as well as turning.- ^1 @3 o; q- o4 g4 }
• If the vehicle in front is in the intersection, stay clear of the intersection, behind the
- H8 d" L' Z) lcrosswalk, until that vehicle has cleared it completely.
5 ]( t- p# [0 v$ ^' G; S: x6 |2. Not knowing the intended path before beginning the turn' I3 _% A5 i4 c, ~
Solution:1 W4 Q4 V  n3 x. a$ e
• While approaching the intersection scan left, centre, and right for vehicles and other- d$ y9 j4 G6 z" o1 ]2 ?+ y
possible hazards. Scan for the lane the left turn will be made into.
& m9 C5 e2 J0 ]# F6 U; q• Once at the intersection, enter into the intersection far enough that the turn must be9 J' z" }; a  H9 S0 _
made. Some new drivers will want to stay close to or straddling the crosswalk. This
; |# p" N2 W* S9 t" _: }can be dangerous, because when the light changes to amber the tendency is to stay in+ X: {" m% D4 R, Y! @
that spot. New drivers may think that their vehicles are out of the way of cross traffic.9 Q& `3 g+ ^  S% T8 E  Y
In fact, it is blocking the crosswalk and likely restricting the first lane of traffic that2 A7 J& N! I2 [& k; h$ |* V" Y
will be crossing in front of the vehicle. Pedestrians will have to walk around the back
. B4 |2 j1 S7 z) d/ ^5 W5 tof the vehicle, or even worse, around the front of the vehicle into the first lane of5 `$ @9 f& |3 U0 U' L2 v: b
traffic to cross the intersection.
+ B7 T) D8 f* ~: ^2 |• Enter the intersection so that the vehicle is about one lane's width from the lane that
+ Z; U/ x. i& \+ N( uwill be used to make the left turn into. Stay there until the intersection is clear or the
' S# M4 }. z0 |light has turned amber and it is safe to proceed. The tendency for new drivers is to' N3 k" {9 q$ H
spot an opening in oncoming traffic where a turn can be made, and then begin rolling7 ~& b# G4 ?' e# X0 t3 {
toward the opening. This changes the vehicle's position in the intersection. Do not
4 p4 v6 F) U$ broll forward until ready to turn.9 I, d% E/ w# a, I
• Keep the wheels straight until it is time to do the turn. This is to prevent being pushed# `( U6 Q1 O7 O  n* ]
from behind into oncoming traffic." |  \3 @- Y3 K9 U/ y
• When beginning to turn, check left for pedestrians in the crosswalk. If clear, look well
0 r' w2 }* I; V* x1 salong the intended path toward the next set of traffic lights. The tendency is to focus2 c& m* b: v( c4 s9 k' r7 R* f1 I4 Z
on the vehicle to the left of the intended path, the yellow centre line, or the lane
9 M6 a8 y# a( ^3 m2 x( umarkings. Looking at these objects will cause the learner to go toward them. You go
- [7 ]. {* M* U* x. Bwhere you look. Remember, proper visual skills and movement is critical to all
& H0 L2 l9 v  Eactivities.
  Q; A- k5 a) Y# ?: I3 z• Accelerate gently while focusing well ahead along the intended path.; p) v4 L* B# ^! y4 l
6 @# S5 i2 A8 VTracking (Position in the Lane)& _& ~. U2 k% |- w$ B/ |; E
New Driver Tendencies:' |- ^7 y9 ~1 d: c4 {8 S7 @# T3 L
• Difficulty staying centered on a straight road.
- [, F) I" C# R' Y3 Q• Difficulty staying centered on a curve.3 M8 Q/ u, w' [$ V9 m
While traveling on a straight road or a curve, the learner may position the vehicle too0 b! Y& |( }0 m8 o7 ?
closely to the dotted or solid line that divides the lanes, or may cause the vehicle to* d: U! k$ W7 M! _9 @# n
wander back and forth in the lane.
4 e( c" Z5 T: i8 X1. Difficulty staying centered on a straight road
1 y) i, Q# M/ o+ {0 b$ dIf the learner is having trouble driving down the centre of a straight road, the problem is
; X3 d$ x  [! \/ m1 T" ~/ [2 ^  r  plikely due to where the eyes are focused. Watching the line to the left of the vehicle will9 c# j' D0 Q# z4 W) ]. p
cause the vehicle to ride next to the line, or far to the right side of the lane as an attempt
7 K, S0 y: H4 Zto correct the problem.
. {6 H, u3 c1 \. B& E% kAs well, the learner may be very aware of being next to the curb, and end up driving too! Z, Y* N( D$ Y+ \( P
close to it. The tendency is to stare at the curb, and then drift close to, against it, or to pull
) p  i! A" _  _$ t3 n1 eaway and avoid it by driving on the left side of the lane.  W* r2 f/ y9 f% N" h* t
Solution:
. \# `! s8 c) W, f• Provide a focal point 15 to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle. For example, have the
9 X6 e4 ~/ _8 f. b4 t( R" |4 |. dlearner identify the color of a set of lights two to three blocks ahead. Staying focused
) E% K& O; `6 C+ u+ ^5 J. son the focal point for a few seconds will likely result in the vehicle gradually moving
* n7 j9 R7 P) ]$ u" R' Fto the centre of the lane.; f$ N0 z4 b& J$ k/ l9 `
Note: Never stare for long periods of time on one object. Scanning from side to side 15; P% ]$ i, z5 v0 A
to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle is recommended.
! d! e+ i& a* v5 [% B2. Difficulty staying centered on a curve6 }% `# [- X6 O* S
The tendency, for new drivers, on a curve is to look at the road markings beside the
" e. L. N4 R. V) g! W5 b0 {! I  vvehicle. Doing this will make the curve seem sharper than it is and cause the learner to
) @; \+ L$ v/ c  t1 n, T( l& c8 F& |slow the vehicle down. This will make the learner look even closer at the markings, and
: G: i3 i2 t* p4 }# Z& }' Lthe problem is made worse.
+ i0 d& t) c$ o6 A, H! eSolution:. w. U1 @! {0 x$ I- p
• Keep the speed where it is safe and within the legal or recommended speed limit.
. U& h' W0 z2 _) w* oLook 7 to 10 seconds around the curve along the intended path. Proper visual skills
  c; Z; i- W; _$ n; A/ _and movement are critical to all safe and effective driving.! {$ v+ g6 d, h1 `" J( U6 b
3 \2 e/ f6 ?# M5 d! c3 wParking5 z2 x- V, K" C- K
A. Parallel Park1 K3 ~" U3 i3 G! r, q/ K
New Driver Tendencies:
8 ~6 y0 l+ _2 G1 Q# y• The vehicle is too far from the curb when the park is finished.7 |9 N: c: A$ L, @' V6 V
• The vehicle is backed into the curb.
; |: l' e; q+ F1. The vehicle is too far from the curb when the park is finished
0 e5 r4 e9 M/ a+ _As in every other aspect of driving, visual skills and movement are very important to
# O1 T. Q+ W" T' i+ q+ R' X+ Gparallel parking.
- h+ A2 q- \2 k# |) gFinishing too far from the curb is a result of not allowing the vehicle to travel in reverse
5 G9 j% m  @% @- |# ufar enough while at the 45 degree angle step of the parking process.% {8 {. j: X( {: S; h8 [4 G' B
Solution:& ^, p9 s+ ~. x; {  S% I+ c7 ~( j& I
• After backing to the right until the vehicle is at about a 45 degree angle to the curb,
5 c/ G6 F* W; U0 s4 C: s4 wcontinue backing with the wheels straight until the right front corner of the vehicle is
0 A! r) t& A4 V) b8 L( H; |in line with the left rear corner of the vehicle that is being parked behind.
- k" ~" i2 J2 E• While moving at a crawl or walking speed turn the steering wheel as far left as
3 K/ C- a) m6 p6 K* i: O/ upossible, and continue to move at a crawl or walking speed.
- d& q$ i( D- q7 o0 ONote: The learner should be looking in the direction the vehicle is moving, with quick, [: i5 Y7 J) g& x+ l
glances to the front and all around the vehicle.& [( J  o0 D3 X  I' t, U& r
2. The vehicle is backed into the curb
5 k2 X2 i. l7 q' y% E1 hThis usually is the result of poor judgment of distance, or allowing the vehicle to reach an
6 Q, }, R: u& _6 w- Z/ ~0 Rangle greater than 45 degrees before the straight backing step of the parking process.* w- P1 N8 A$ \& o: U
Solution:
7 a5 l* \$ F; ^: i• It is better for the angle step of the park to be done at 45 degrees or slightly less.
/ Q8 L& w8 q& R" ^) w! O9 B1 TGreater than 45 degrees makes it much more difficult to finish the park within 50
# r/ ~/ B, C; Ycentimetres of the curb without hitting the curb with the right rear tire.
' N" Q# O1 h% F0 n• Walk or crawl speed is all that is required.
5 w( M+ j/ X3 q91 B1 L; V% B& l; Q, q! u
B. Downhill Park2 Z/ V7 j, q5 ^& ]; h
New Driver Tendencies:
2 C0 U( B8 m" z4 T* X6 }7 j+ }• The tire rubs the curb as the learner tries to get the vehicle close to the curb.( M8 }4 f! ]7 O4 D& _
• The vehicle is parked with the back end too far from the curb.
. g2 Y7 W. R5 `) M' `• The curb is hit hard as the vehicle moves forward to settle against the curb.7 m3 n3 O  t$ |' c  K3 }
The key to a good downhill park is in the approach. Ensuring the vehicle is close and
( R6 B! A6 y( aparallel with the curb on the approach will ensure the vehicle is close and parallel when  G5 E" I' R6 l4 U# L  ]
the park is completed.( N3 {( I! {3 X$ l- |2 |5 S9 {
Solution:
1 l% O% A+ h" V4 j. C3 B6 g• Watch where the learner focuses when approaching the curb. The tendency is to raise' ?+ Q- v5 X7 }  `/ }8 U
the chin and stare at the curb. This will almost guarantee running into it. To avoid" q+ B0 k+ o% d, E3 r$ d  l% `
running into the curb vision should be directed well down the curb lane with short# }3 C7 i# u, |2 k, G7 x. y+ m
glances to the curb, and small steering wheel adjustments to move the vehicle closer
; P! o3 C- L( a' m! j1 K3 u4 X9 zto the curb.1 T( A- p+ Y# E
• Once the vehicle is close and parallel to the curb, the hands should be at the 9 and 32 Q/ _' ~5 h0 Y
position on the steering wheel. Turn the wheel half way around (180 degrees) to the/ j' N' A8 _0 l; O, u
left (touch the forearms together) and roll about half a meter. Now turn hand-overhand- K" G' p! U8 I+ H% Y
all the way to the right as the vehicle rolls slowly to the curb.* ^. c! E8 l% R. G4 O# \% I
Caution: There is a strong tendency for new drivers to press on the accelerator when) P1 O" I& j% L# S2 J
steering hard to the right to complete the downhill park. The first couple of downhill
: m! R( `2 }0 D& Z$ B' S- Bparks should be done on a slight slope, and with the vehicle in neutral to prevent the# F1 ]' z) X+ [, p+ m! G. K* o
vehicle from running up onto the curb.
5 l; u6 ^5 W2 s6 H100 [8 R0 X+ N3 j% L
C. Uphill Park) v. F6 V4 k* F. P5 K" i
New Driver Tendencies:
9 R9 [7 `2 g+ ?- {# \! A# `• The vehicle is parked with the back end too far from the curb.
# d0 [! _& o0 j* X& \: }• The curb is rubbed as the learner attempts to get the vehicle close to the curb.
, |6 J2 s) T/ pThe key to a good uphill park is in the approach. Ensuring the vehicle is close and
  @8 C* u( M( hparallel with the curb on the approach will ensure the vehicle is close and parallel when& B+ z9 ]- l9 Z: _0 I5 S( [
the park is completed.
% ], x2 z3 b9 Z: X7 K8 _Solution:* b. O8 \8 r1 I$ z# \
• Watch where the learner focuses when approaching the curb. The tendency is to raise% L1 m( O( u2 T
the chin and stare at the curb. This will almost guarantee running into it. Vision0 r. \+ l( k2 @! d0 x5 P' \/ i; t% x
should be directed well down the curb lane with short glances to the curb, and small0 c( _3 `: K' h! C/ M  R
steering wheel adjustments to move the vehicle closer to the curb.* j' o1 m) `& Y5 q7 Y' }
• Move the vehicle forward very slowly, about one meter, while turning the steering
- A5 w' j+ H3 F0 W) x; l# rwheel all the way to the left (just enough to get the wheels all the way to the left).
! i" v6 F- ]# X& Y9 D% J# p  J• Select reverse and, while covering the brake, back very slowly until the right front tire
% r; ^% f) P$ w9 Y! K. pgently contacts the curb.
' E+ e8 z- A% }. RNote: Properly completed uphill and downhill parks will look exactly the same when the6 D2 H8 X4 h- g8 d
passenger door is opened next to the curb. The vehicle should be straight and parallel to* f8 l1 o) Q8 t) C
the curb for uphill and downhill parks.& D% q7 A5 K. O6 V8 d; y
11! q& a! \% q$ r
Braking Too Late, Too Hard, or Too Softly/ H5 Y0 z6 G- ?/ Z+ r7 ?# Y, G
New Driver Tendencies:  Z: U2 b# h; q% S3 }+ A. j
• The brake is covered an appropriate distance from the stopping point, but no pressure
3 T. H3 p* T! dis applied to the brake, so the speed is not reduced.! z& s$ j0 ~" h- W
• Poor judgment of distance, speed, and time results in braking too late or too hard.
# B# a7 w, r' H( {• The new driver looks directly over the hood of the vehicle.
) C' ?4 N1 w) k5 u- nDrivers who look directly over the hood of the vehicle tend to brake hard and late
4 r; D- e5 `: v5 l% vbecause their vision is not far enough ahead to assess time and space properly. As the
7 i+ Y4 w  |2 N( u" u  mvehicle slows down, vision is dropped near to the front of the vehicle. This is the2 S2 a  c" N. `- W; V
beginning of poor judgment of speed, time and distance. Vision should remain at eye2 P- t+ r: o' j" {% _
level along the intended path.: P. B9 ~1 q: S
Solution:! }7 g, D$ E$ A" @' }9 g7 W) n( |: D
• As in other activities, visual skills are critical here. Vision must be kept at eye level
( W) V* \7 _' l& iand well ahead of the vehicle. Watch the learner's head and chin. If the learner's chin) G! e. P% f) U9 O5 i& |2 F
goes up, the eyes will go down. Keeping the chin level will ensure the vision stays at
( f% V' A; o+ R4 u& U- ?. eeye level and well along the intended path.
- M* t4 z! R3 U• When anticipating having to slow down or stop, check the rear view mirror. When' m: m8 k1 L1 b2 J
covering the brake, apply some pressure to the brake and reduce to about half of the6 h. o/ |* W) p+ _$ y
posted speed. This will help in a couple of areas. If the time and space needed to stop  b' A" X7 O, V& t. M/ s3 I' M
or avoid an object has been misjudged, it is safer to brake more in the beginning
5 K- n2 Z. r  i( Yrather than near the required stopping point. As well, if the vehicle behind is
. X" `* \$ e- F# W: z' lfollowing too closely, braking sooner will give other vehicles warning and force them9 u* i, {& M) [: l, M% V
to slow down well in advance of the required stopping point. This reduces the chance/ ~- z6 r0 k! Q3 k* |# K. ]7 c
of being rear-ended.+ ]7 R$ A9 ~) A+ G! R
7 [  i. S5 I3 W, v1 BFollowing Too Closely; B- h& ?8 c, F% v4 B
New Driver Tendency:
$ K! Z* `9 U# T• Following the vehicle in front too closely.
( x& M# f& h& o7 R+ m+ M: p% vThe Driver’s Handbook recommends at least a two-second following distance. This is
% m; Q3 T4 X- b% \- A) z- N7 pgood advice, but if a driver is not scanning 15 to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle, two
) g1 Y  K& o! |; ]) F% Tseconds may not be enough, even in good weather conditions." a6 C$ r& q* ~* ?& w' p
Solution:
2 t7 b; b  E5 @3 |• Have a three to four second following distance to allow time to slow down for the0 A. _) e) ]- E& y5 h  j' w
traffic in front and additional time to deal with vehicles behind that may be following
$ r: ?6 Q: \& h# c! n8 U6 jtoo closely. Scan 15 to 20 seconds or one and a half to two blocks ahead.8 g% B9 G) n3 _4 u
136 h, e1 }* |: a" ?3 A& w' z
Lane Changing, `2 U; S, K. B+ V
New Driver Tendencies:+ _$ s9 n+ g, g" m9 v" s& c* G
• Slowing down while shoulder checking.
3 _- K9 |  i5 u% b$ p3 J5 i# v• Moving the steering wheel too abruptly or over-steering.2 I: l& W# r% _- P6 E
• Looking too long while shoulder checking.4 b1 Z5 }9 \8 r8 ]
• Moving the steering wheel while shoulder checking.
5 r: R8 [( Y8 `4 m: V; vProper lane changing requires the following six steps.
: y. a" ]+ L3 \9 I; v7 G1. Check the rear view mirror.9 P9 k5 ^! Z2 t% J" J% Q4 C
2. Check the outside mirror./ a& W, H7 i, b: f
3. Shoulder check.
3 W  w4 a# p/ A4 F4. Signal, if clear.0 b: c: y( R- ]! k  ~
5. Shoulder check again.
. u) m  @( E9 \( P( R* i6. Move into the next lane, if safe.
0 _4 d- Z! ?; b* r1. Slowing down while shoulder checking+ J' c) R( z% F+ r1 m
Slowing down is usually the result of the learner doing the first shoulder check, then
' e! r1 \- H* Ktaking the foot off the accelerator, then checking again and not making the lane change,
" b$ V' y, Y" T# d/ z0 Q2 _! Z& lor cutting in too abruptly because the gap has closed. Changing lanes is generally nothing
+ X1 n3 i0 }1 v  |2 d& b$ {) m) pmore than changing the vehicle's position on the road. It rarely ever requires slowing
+ V0 F/ N+ S% B2 G  U. edown if done where it is safe.% g: c8 p$ F* e/ j( Q5 v1 d
Solution:
( @( }. s/ ~7 c3 T7 z- a• Find a stretch of road that has no obstacles, such as curves and traffic lights, for a few8 }4 n5 W4 I5 i: B% v. X7 h
blocks.
5 p$ a2 ~% n- y7 R# t• Ensure the new driver is at or near the speed limit. Remind the learner not to7 m5 @% W" G7 N! \5 k7 G
reduce the speed while glancing to the blind spot. This will take a bit of practice, but( R0 |- W1 Y* T; b2 v) y) U$ }; ?
the skill will steadily improve.
9 Q# u. g( \; `5 z2. Moving the steering wheel too abruptly or over-steering: H2 P% c$ \7 j. F* ~/ s" R$ u
Solution:
* J6 d* g% d3 V2 w: R: f• Hand position must be at 9 and 3 throughout the entire lane change. New drivers have
8 j# [' K8 W, W) Z5 Qa tendency to over-steer (usually because of poor visual skills). A lane change
% S8 i  h  k: c+ brequires nothing more than adjusting the steering wheel so the hand position shifts
9 F1 U2 T, ~) v  ^from the 9 and 3 position to the 8 and 2 position for a left lane change. Lane changes7 P0 p, D0 D/ h  v% A
to the right would be from the 9 and 3 position to the 10 and 4 position. The hands do5 f* e7 y4 c- e6 _" ]/ ]! i$ x
not move on the steering wheel, only the steering wheel moves.
2 d5 N% m0 m! P9 X$ L$ e142 D1 F8 p4 u4 L' h+ j  l' T/ w/ `
3. Looking too long while shoulder checking
4 b2 v! G! Q3 cSolution:- W, g4 ^' M1 V" v" J9 B3 k7 f
• Taking the eyes away from looking forward for too long while the vehicle is in traffic4 u$ _  A1 _6 l4 Z" j! r
is extremely dangerous. It is safer and more effective to perform two shoulder checks
+ T8 |9 i9 {# ^3 n/ U% M% n& G2 d5 ~with short glances to the blind spot than it is to stare for several seconds.
6 q" t/ H2 R0 K7 s• Quick glances, while maintaining speed, will produce positive results.+ f8 d- A; t# K7 M* w! ~9 Q
4. Moving the steering wheel while shoulder checking
. V; G, j1 ~) O! l9 iSolution:  S2 o# `2 K& Z
• Moving the steering wheel is usually a result of looking too far back when shoulder: e5 f8 x& C0 d
checking. New drivers need to be made aware when they are moving the steering  ^6 _* D: e  R  t! i- T8 d
wheel while shoulder checking. Ensure the learner is aware of where the blind spot
7 \4 B4 P% F2 F( \4 z; hzones are on each side of the vehicle.( U+ U: o3 G4 v( t5 b6 c
Note: Learners will tend to look through the rear window when shoulder checking to the3 Z" M: y6 U/ Q5 M8 a/ y6 X. ?
right. The rear view mirror is used for this. Explain the blind spot zones again to reinforce
: c8 F% M6 D7 D7 zwhere to look when doing shoulder checks.
( y- a+ X1 n) A6 n15+ \2 U4 Y4 z8 \0 K5 B9 ^
Merging* {5 v5 q0 |: h0 Q6 @8 H4 r9 {
New Driver Tendencies:
0 s: z) Z" h- J$ w• Treating the merge like a yield.
! N. B/ g! i* u, D• Waiting too long to find an appropriate space to fit into.
' ^9 s9 D+ r# U! T) Y) G• Travelling too closely to the vehicle in front.9 k0 Z. e! O" I  L$ w
• Approaching the merge point too quickly or too slowly.; g3 p  B  l. @  k8 f
• Trusting that other drivers will cooperate in letting the learner merge.* O0 Q0 o; V9 Q$ z8 [6 V
• Being passive instead of assertive.2 y% m1 K" E7 \, N+ g
Before doing a high-risk activity, such as merging, demonstrate the activity, draw; e7 B+ y" u6 k, x8 j* N
pictures and have the learner observe the situation when possible.  ], Q/ X! c. W+ j
1. Treating the merge like a yield
- O8 P! i% |; A& WSolution:; s% ~- {0 d0 t. g, r6 F
• Yielding and merging are very different, and it is important to understand the  A6 \  d' z" \! g4 \  v" V7 Q
difference between the two. Merge means to mix or blend with the traffic (a shared
# b" h, J8 L9 v0 g) Hresponsibility). Yield requires that one of the vehicles must legally allow the other to) r: @/ A, E/ W# x" _9 t/ ]1 I& h. z" @! k
proceed to avoid a collision (one vehicle has the right of way).4 L8 N4 o1 e2 H, R* F
2. Waiting too long to find an appropriate space to fit into
0 ~" Y. L1 U; G1 g' f! ^# {Solution:
3 R4 N  |- Z0 M! H7 ~• Finding an appropriate space to merge should begin as soon as the lane where the
8 w: D# B0 `+ Y" r8 h4 l2 nmerge will take place comes in to view. When this can be seen, planning begins for
" ^! c( a& p' B9 G9 sthe merge. At this point, the learner needs to pick a spot to fit into, and to continue to  |$ \6 r  x( q  `6 `# @
glance left to check for the merge location. The learner will have to be assertive, not
2 Y& f. G8 F9 U1 B+ G' @6 waggressive. This is a situation that requires the learner to take charge and show clear' i2 H& b' i( ^; {" M$ C( V
intention to merge with the flow of traffic.
. K) D  G6 _' o: E6 A  J3 j3. Travelling too closely to the vehicle in front
! Q& z* ]: {4 D' sSolution:1 h# [9 f9 j7 C! w% B4 {
• When planning the merge, the learner needs to leave a two to three second following. X$ N5 H* B) p% A$ ?
distance (longer if conditions are poor) between their vehicle and the vehicle in front.
7 e( g/ }( D& ^* J0 ?& wMany drivers do not know how to merge properly (see 1). Many experienced drivers
0 [1 D# o. @8 s; Z4 {* h" A- Htreat merging like a yield, and will come to a stop due to poor planning. Following
/ U( N) D4 e  A  h" V. H+ t; j! Ftoo closely will greatly increase the possibility of a collision. As the learner is
. @1 b/ s# A4 q$ Z% ]: d; uglancing for an opening in traffic, the vehicle in front may stop.* x, |- K  I/ m! I
4. Approaching the merge point too quickly or too slowly
% c$ }" D( y$ E% o; @5 W, C& ]Solution:! V+ F3 |7 D7 W2 h! i: `" a8 u/ b
• The learner needs to remember this is a merge, not a yield. There are no yield or stop
# }4 `8 s$ o# m- M5 ?- Vsigns. Stopping is a last resort and usually the result of poor planning. One sign seen
) E1 M' G0 x- B# Uon the approach to the merge is a speed limit sign that will indicate what speed should& d0 E. ?7 J0 |9 R
9 l- h' ?& u, J# C; t9 T" Nbe travelled to merge safely. If drivers were required to yield or stop, there would
$ X' o2 u1 |2 Q1 D8 d5 {not be a sign encouraging an increase in speed. Speed should be increased to near; O" c! w1 l3 ^! A: u1 ^! q1 Y9 S
or at the suggested speed. (The speed may have to be adjusted a little to match the5 l; o  |) Q& ^; z
chosen entry location.)
6 B, c1 }. `, ~+ S% Q5. Trusting that other drivers will cooperate in letting the learner merge
- _9 n& L* q. K+ t5 cSolution:/ v: s8 C+ ^4 @) L8 r
• Other motorists are looking for the driver who is merging to communicate clearly( X" X' B! P- L' K+ ^6 X
what is being planned. Turn on the signal light. Be assertive. If there is hesitation,
( }7 d7 U7 ?: k" a, T  uother drivers will be unsure about what the learner is planning to do. The learner$ H* T7 U3 @9 i4 O" m; N1 J% y. S
needs to communicate clearly that he or she is going to merge, and other motorists! J/ s9 Z$ }; G5 Y
will make room by moving ahead, slowing down, or changing lanes. Remember, a
1 C3 v  V6 [/ c- Klarge number of licensed drivers do not know all the rules of the road. Not everyone. X- R: h$ m/ u9 i& L4 J
understands that merging is a shared responsibility, therefore there is no right-of-way.
6 \6 ~; Y5 e  H7 I7 N. F6. Being passive instead of assertive
/ j5 u8 K4 ^& {  @& [( ZSolution:+ u# ?# Q3 q$ V
• Taking a passive approach can communicate to other drivers that the learner is unsure$ C  e2 k( n- [# ]9 r
about what to do. This causes confusion, poor planning, and poor decision-making.4 n6 V7 ?" t8 X7 v' l
Be assertive! Take charge! Take control!
7 s0 A* q* F+ Z  I+ X17- w0 I& g7 t& x9 n5 p
Traffic Circles
* a+ _* d. Z/ l$ k1 aNew Driver Tendencies:
# C8 M  z/ c- B( E) X• Approaching the traffic circle too quickly.1 ]! t# ], P$ _1 y8 y
• Not glancing to the left when approaching the traffic circle.
' u$ ~! w5 u- u- L5 A8 V5 @0 e• Staring at the concrete triangle island divider to the left when approaching or exiting
% r% h& q3 F* X$ kthe traffic circle.5 k6 Z' l! G, Y0 \4 I/ l2 {1 }4 z
• Staring at the left curb, or the white dotted lane markings to the right, while going
- @2 y" c8 W" caround the traffic circle.
- Z) B, K" B% G  h- l* L/ V4 X• Trying to go further than the first exit in the right (outside) lane.
/ w) c! h* a$ `0 U# S• Attempting to exit the circle using the right (outside) lane from the left (inside) lane.  z1 X( P6 |4 Q3 X  Q! K
• Travelling around the circle too quickly.
7 w7 q8 ~+ x# r5 JBefore doing a high-risk activity, such as traffic circles, demonstrate the activity, draw9 {  n" g% s3 f, b' ^* Z
pictures and have the learner observe the situation when possible.
$ Y/ C" W3 o6 y8 y1. Approaching the traffic circle too quickly
9 ^8 V7 n, I+ U8 ^Solution:
- r1 B& |, W1 L4 }/ q• Braking should begin about half a block (two to three light standards) from the traffic
% W6 X6 M4 T3 |2 e/ k6 f# F; s+ q& _circle. At this point, cover the brake and apply some pressure to slow to roughly half
! j5 v! V# K  i6 k3 Oof the posted speed. Many new drivers will cover the brake at the appropriate distance/ B. C. t. R+ p. Q8 R' E
but are still coasting near the same speed. Approach at 10 to 15 km/h, not 20 to 25
( k2 [* ~' o9 }3 rkm/h. This allows for proper scanning and assessing, and time to plan for other
4 q' V( N3 V  mvehicles following too closely behind.! q" w& \5 x4 y; z, l
2. Not glancing to the left when approaching the traffic circle# @" z6 f8 r/ b7 F& H
Solution:
! Q. H+ A8 \. B. S" `2 A5 x• The traffic circle should be approached slowly so that the following steps can be2 ]; W, t1 j, O% f$ C+ I& d* c
done easily.( q1 T9 F& S9 Y0 M9 H5 Q
• Signal well in advance of the circle./ d5 b" B7 w/ f* n$ j# i
• Assess the traffic flow ahead, behind, and especially to the left in the circle.
) x4 r6 e: ?; s* n) c) l4 \) e! D• Decide whether there is enough time and space to continue into the circle, or if a
( y) D4 ^5 a1 G! j) C7 W1 }- vstop will be required.
6 l4 v. _) _6 Q. L' i( v3 \5 r3 G3. Staring at the concrete triangle island divider to the left when8 o% X7 x  S  i7 ?
approaching or exiting the traffic circle
' i* Y9 k8 G* y* \! xSolution:
( B( ~# Q/ C: n9 O  R3 Y• Proper visual skills are crucial to all driving activities. Approaching too quickly will7 s; D7 |6 Z1 R! B1 q( J( B
interfere with the learner's ability to perform all the necessary actions to ensure safe
1 R; `, m: o3 {8 Suse of the traffic circle. The learner should be aware of the divider, but not stare at it.
5 L$ I3 C2 G6 [4 }Scanning should be done on the approach to the circle, from the left to right, checking
' {6 J3 T3 H3 s: a. wfor a safe opening and for pedestrians.
3 H# ~% \7 B' G: Z  c" O18
& V2 s/ L8 R0 ]1 }; z7 B4. Staring at the curb on the left while going around the traffic circle
! i; Z4 t# q) g* V9 WSolution:
2 L; F3 d. W* C; g1 Q- z• New drivers will be very nervous about contacting the curb to the left of their
) r: Y. D* D+ j# B( D4 c& {vehicles when they travel in the left lane around the traffic circle. Due to their
0 I8 d) ^0 Q. [2 N! Jnervousness about the curb, they will be very focused on it. This will cause them to
5 L  D1 w. e$ n, K* I- w# T: bmove towards it. Here is that vision and movement issue. Encourage the learner to; [8 i2 `0 T+ M, g
look around toward the next exit and make only small steering wheel adjustments.
7 U8 G1 }# u+ S4 ~Vision should be aimed high.
9 T' G* S; n% q& u8 L5. Trying to go further than the first exit in the right (outside) lane- z+ Y2 w  a7 S! T* g% _! w
Solution:
* u: I4 V6 C% ^$ f1 }• Although this is legal, it is not recommended, especially for new drivers. New drivers
7 F7 }) y( ~# Z* `+ [- k7 H+ uare focused on the basics of keeping the vehicle moving, and staying on the road.+ P7 h$ q" D* t0 a( A$ q
Unnecessary high-risk activities should be avoided until the learner has more
1 G, |: }3 q& l- xexperience.
( s" _; B( W& ?( S, i. @+ k: O/ f6 u6. Attempting to exit the circle using the right (outside) lane from the left7 q( L+ @% F8 B. w! _+ j
(inside) lane
$ H) _, f) Z! l+ i, X- q& @Solution:* Y8 w% C+ T1 C1 Q2 y0 U$ L8 S
• Don’t. Some new drivers will try to change lanes while in the traffic circle and to exit% [% O  h3 D  c7 B+ I/ K. Z! r
a traffic circle from the left lane using the right lane, even after discussing it. This
# b6 a1 w# I& O/ }5 k9 U& Ncomes up very often, and is very likely to happen as you coach the learner. Anticipate
# H, g- Y# [  E+ l) F* g3 B7 `this problem, and remind the learner while going around the circle that the exit must
. ~! f- W. i7 \# Y; C" u+ b3 W/ L8 gbe done in the proper lane. A good rule of thumb is 'enter using the left lane, exit, F- M$ \5 Q$ f( s. @
using the left lane' and 'enter using the right lane, exit using the right lane.'
/ h( \0 v! d" E7 V7 A7. Travelling around the circle too quickly
0 O3 E, u/ B8 s3 nSolution:
& w& Q2 ?# H2 g2 W• Many new drivers, when nervous and unsure, will increase their speed in an attempt
- K1 p& m7 `- m' X8 xto get through the exercise more quickly. This tendency is very strong in traffic
( a) ~7 i7 p, Q. z+ E1 N" Scircles. Usually because they are accelerating to get in, they continue to drive around/ o3 q4 u$ `$ e7 s/ k" i+ F1 n
the circle quickly. Once in the traffic circle slow down to a speed that allows the. n6 B3 q3 L  t! o! e$ h
vehicle to be easily controlled.
* X( t" B' |" k: h: n+ n19
$ H5 D. j! n# `4 VIntersections (Anticipating the Light)
  W& ?* g% s' _& JNew Driver Tendencies:* v8 \. A5 w3 h& Q
• Not recognizing the fresh (okay to walk) or stale (do not walk) light situation early
& @: F. W* L- P; b; @  ?3 j7 denough.% Z7 t) c4 @6 z8 g; P7 ^" q% N5 j
• Not understanding what the amber (yellow) light means.
+ c, q' U6 f" f: R, L: L• Hoping the light doesn’t change to amber versus anticipating it changing.. m  \4 T6 o# E& d, M
• Not understanding the point-of-no-return.8 `( b7 M5 v! M) D: `/ b' E
• Not scanning to the front, side, and rear.
) O# K7 u+ B  q+ q7 K6 B4 ^3 F; V1. Not recognizing the fresh (okay to walk) or stale (do not walk) situation early
# c" `( @  C8 Xenough
' {* L* Q$ O, m' f4 c/ K. D  b$ ?; @7 ASolution:
5 s! [$ J: Q$ i: ^, S• Identify whether the light has become stale (the Don’t Walk light is on), or if it is! t; s( l% o1 d! Z$ Y- w# u
fresh (legally okay to cross the street). This is a very important part of deciding how6 P! U" p" }7 a: U- b
to handle the traffic light. Note this from as far away as one block (8 to 10 seconds).) v% w7 O( y2 o/ A
• If the traffic light is fresh, continue within the speed limit, but be aware that the
( b9 m" H/ V6 t8 Z/ L  Y( blight may turn to stale.
+ U) f) ^4 _. k( R• If the traffic light is stale, check the rear view mirror, and cover the brake. The stale
/ q* m+ T. I/ c7 ^( o4 Zlight is the first warning that it will soon be changing to amber. By now the vehicle is
" I% t& L. Z) V5 `$ qlikely half a block (two or three light standards) from the intersection.  [3 n* K5 c. Z1 P8 |& ^+ ]5 u  ]
• Covering the brake does a few things. First, removing the foot from the gas pedal
- ^8 J1 X0 {2 t) X' l* _allows gravity to take over, gradually slowing the vehicle. Secondly, the braking1 |; v( a. P( }6 T" C
reaction time is lessened because the brake is already covered. Thirdly, the learner's
0 J- I+ h) N& ifocus is now on a possible stop, as opposed to running the light or slamming on the
& m" X( g" b: f- _$ Tbrakes.. D$ x' J# d* ?3 z0 Q
2. Not understanding what the amber (yellow) light means.
$ E- C; s5 @* Y; l' h- GSolution:9 V/ U1 r: C& v' ~" f& Z$ f% F9 o
• When approaching the traffic light, amber should be treated as prepare to stop, so
) }; s6 J3 A+ }; @* ~covering the brake is a good proactive move.
  C9 |) \5 S, x& M* v8 p) V• If the vehicle is in the intersection (waiting to turn left), then amber means clear the
$ D) b* z  V/ _/ L9 i& ~6 Cintersection when it is safe.
# I4 H  D$ u- z# ~7 I# ^3. Hoping the traffic light doesn’t change to amber versus anticipating it
& Y  c' R5 k& U4 l6 J; I4 w4 Xchanging: O8 I% t! S" `3 G
Solution:3 N. Y" C4 {! T% x4 Y) Q
• New drivers are anxious about approaching traffic lights that may change. Some
8 S+ r6 O" p' s) Z9 P  M4 j+ u5 n, pdrivers go faster and try to get through the light instead of slowing and preparing to
( D9 h+ u( a: ?# O' V% [& W: lstop. The learner should plan to stop. If it turns out that stopping isn't, f  b1 u8 ^1 |3 {, @2 E- h4 F3 `9 l
necessary…great.
% _6 D- {8 E  S% z7 e" e20
1 d4 {7 p3 _" f2 O- q4 R4. Not understanding the point-of-no-return8 c# ^) e9 _3 N3 x& T
Solution:! M7 R) o0 P, R& ~1 K% h
• Scan the area to determine the ‘point-of-no-return’. There is no exact point, but there! t( ^  _( C( q+ N4 S- A
is an area or range a short distance before the intersection where the driver must
/ C, c& X( }) b0 N, L3 x% Kdecide if it is possible to stop safely before the crosswalk or intersection. At this point
8 P4 A: {- w0 j2 W; r1 B9 \the driver has made a ‘decision to continue’.4 u7 Z7 a: d3 u; C6 N5 I3 D
This requires good judgment and experience. Many things must be assessed before4 W$ c2 H) G. W6 v, E5 N
making this decision, such as speed, road conditions, traffic volume, visibility, and
: R. n0 ^% q2 d" R9 B0 ^even the condition of the vehicle, especially the tires.
1 k. n5 S9 r+ a5 t) v  a5. Not scanning to the front, side, and rear
) e1 u5 y/ ^! u7 ^Solution:( M; b' T' H5 {' P$ J4 [* X% U& _
• Scanning should be done all the time when driving. When approaching a traffic light,6 g% f1 ~. \& o+ u  x$ \' l" Y
scan well before the intersection. While the learner is deciding whether to proceed or  B: ?+ g" X2 J0 Q/ C- \
stop at the intersection, it is wise to know what is happening on the adjacent roadway
% Y) F9 _  e% j' P3 S, Mand behind the vehicle.6 ]( ^, T. y0 c$ D% g
21; `7 G# ?# w/ ]9 U: l
Manual Transmissions) G( v4 B5 M5 T4 E+ V
New Driver Tendencies:' {$ g* Z6 X! m* ~( b: ]* ]# h6 I# o
• Over-revving the engine while finding the friction point., y: \& I/ Y0 {# H: w# B  i
• Stalling too often.1 H* A6 t$ Z$ G) m; ]3 a/ y2 H& w! f
• Rough shifting and difficulty finding gears.# _# s7 O( d6 D0 R8 w2 T
1. Over-revving the engine while finding the friction point1 Z3 p' C$ ]4 B( z' z
New drivers seem to have the idea that the only way to make a manual shift (standard)
3 ~2 E6 v# e7 B( ]vehicle move is to co-ordinate ‘the clutch and the accelerator’. This is not necessary. This
" n! w/ v6 W2 @4 _4 g& Oapproach creates huge anxiety in new drivers and coaches. New drivers hear the engine; b4 f5 d4 S+ f5 z! v$ D
revving and are afraid that once the clutch engages, the vehicle is going to bolt from its
( }; S( m8 C' i. l0 Nspot like a 747. No wonder new drivers remove their feet from the accelerator and
! u. P4 J7 H. h, O- Wdepress the clutch to the floor.
8 i) ?) s( R) h5 p4 j- [; e7 ?8 V, aSolution:3 N6 o; K9 S2 W* Z  C4 t
• For the first hour, in a large parking lot, do not use the accelerator to make the- |# A+ {  |8 U4 Q5 D3 c
vehicle move. The vehicle idles fast enough that no gas is required. Teach the learner+ V! v$ \/ H/ \3 P7 C7 o
to find the friction point, without gas, to move forward.8 i! `: J& |7 M8 E: Y* u
• The key is to put the vehicle in first gear, with the clutch depressed. Using no gas,
# [) w. U$ G- {" h, ]; Eslowly release the clutch, until the vehicle starts to pull.
) E- s6 s8 H% A• Pause at the friction point. Allow the vehicle to start moving while slowing moving+ q# C7 h7 j/ K" n$ F6 W
the clutch (in millimetres).
: Y5 s9 e. H! L1 V5 W7 U; _% n# g$ S• As the vehicle slowly gains speed, without gas, and moves three or four meters) q# t8 s9 M1 M3 D
forward, slowly release the clutch all the way out.
4 }% J" y* C. `+ d• Becoming familiar with the friction point, and what it can do, is critical to the% _5 v2 a2 H8 F, p3 }
learning process. Using the no gas method provides for a better feel for the friction
% F0 J1 F& {) K& cpoint, with little or no anxiety that results from the revving engine.1 i' a: Y& O. `0 _
A good rule of thumb for using the clutch is the 4-S rule. The only reasons for depressing$ o6 a* T6 @! f7 j9 d  J
the clutch are to:
5 H3 C& P9 z5 L6 G7 f& `Start (ignition) the vehicle.
' E- v% x9 H1 t. }: {- @9 tStart to move the vehicle in first gear.
5 }7 C. W4 L4 @. ~# t0 F0 |( ]# t' |Shift gears.
  S! C* z* b! q0 bStop.* D9 q; x# N+ m$ V) m
2. Stalling too often1 m* \3 u9 x0 `3 `1 \
Solution:
2 s1 y0 {, l4 {4 }- n• Stalling is usually due to the new driver releasing the clutch too quickly. Often this
+ a& v$ {1 a, a" m! A0 b% Y  z1 Ghappens as a result of anxiety, especially the first time in traffic. The key to not+ ^. Q( b0 a- K8 y
stalling is to release the clutch to the friction point, hesitate with the clutch for three6 w* G/ Q9 X) `6 W/ z
to four meters, and then slowly release the clutch all the way. Hesitating at the! \8 U, k( n5 M$ V/ ]5 w, p
friction point as the vehicle starts moving is very important.
& D7 D; a* n7 a2 f22
; E7 ^5 g, H& n8 G3. Rough shifting and difficulty finding gears  e7 X, L& Y7 P+ |; p1 H' U
This often is a result of the new driver’s grip on the gearshift, and the desire to get the6 E: S) E0 P6 e1 q! f: s+ ?: f
shifting over with as quickly as possible. The tendency for new drivers is to make a fist5 p4 n- S2 P+ k: o+ A
on the gear selector knob. This tends to increase the tension and forces shifting. The gears) E: a. }& E! [+ b2 b% Y4 [
are synchronized and it requires nothing more than a relaxed open palm grip on the gear
9 `# B6 m5 N% s7 e& I& k4 O* uselector.* K. ~3 j3 k" J: |5 S2 Y( e
Solution:
- \0 j& m$ P% a" ^• Slow the shifting process by taking three to four seconds to depress the clutch, shift. D4 m- x5 G0 S
from one gear to the next, and slowly release the clutch. Slowing the process will also9 h2 Y' p, T6 h. k9 X  q/ v* \2 Q
reduce some of the anxiety.
2 A0 V9 ]  z9 x3 M' V0 r8 O$ r
$ o; v6 S& F  F. |[ 本帖最后由 billzhao 于 2008-3-1 01:01 编辑 ]
鲜花(40) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2008-3-30 18:56 | 显示全部楼层
好贴慢慢看
鲜花(3) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2009-8-25 14:56 | 显示全部楼层
very good! thanks!
鲜花(79) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-13 12:54 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
good post
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-21 17:10 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(48) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-21 17:15 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 scuba1995 于 2011-5-21 18:16 编辑 - Z8 ^- m3 H" r, A( O1 u

. l# X) o* [3 l8 u3 ` 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。
鲜花(57) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-22 19:54 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。2 Q3 \6 Q( d0 P! G2 M
scuba1995 发表于 2011-5-21 18:15
6 v; O# e) N2 f/ |8 G5 U( F
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-22 20:59 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-5-23 21:19 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(10) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2013-7-3 22:16 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-7-18 17:00 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2014-3-26 22:26 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2014-11-18 05:07 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(2) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-1-29 11:58 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:08 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:08 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:09 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:10 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:11 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:11 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:14 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:15 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(330) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:22 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
谢谢分享~~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-13 05:27 , Processed in 0.225325 second(s), 39 queries , Gzip On, APC On.