查看: 16182|回复: 26

聆听智者的声音: TED~~~一个收集名家声音的讲坛

[复制链接]
鲜花(31) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2012-10-9 14:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
+ S1 T7 ]  b( M: x, ]0 r; Z; c
当我花很多很多时间在网上闲逛,翻阅无病呻吟的闲聊,偶然听到TED,突然间,好像上帝打开了一个天窗。
6 c4 m9 v# S. e# m/ H% z3 e" EIdea worth spreading.
) A9 g$ j' j& l# b( `! ECome, get inspired.1 I3 f. i- b7 p: ~- p
请访问www.ted.com, 有免费手机应用程序下载哟。
+ H1 j' \4 W3 q6 U如果你有感动,请来此帖说两句,让更多的人 告别无聊。

鲜花鸡蛋

JoyceAccSG  在2012-10-9 16:47  送朵鲜花  并说:我非常同意你的观点,送朵鲜花鼓励一下
鲜花(647) 鸡蛋(4)
发表于 2012-10-9 16:05 | 显示全部楼层
以前上学的时候,老师总是放这个的。嗯,TED,非常激发人的思考,很好很好。
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2012-10-9 16:48 | 显示全部楼层
好贴,好贴。
鲜花(397) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2012-10-9 17:27 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
点来看看是什么东东
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2012-10-10 06:42 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 JoyceAccSG 于 2013-7-3 20:52 编辑
# v6 X% l, e- p8 d' j$ K
) e; k% n, X0 P6 T2 Z9 b4 f1 J! hWhen I graduated UCLA, I moved to northern California, and I lived in a little town called Elk on the Mendocino coast, and I didn't have a phone or TV, but I had U.S. mail, and life was good back then, if you could remember it. I'd go to the general store for a cup of coffee and a brownie, and I'd ship my film to San Francisco, and lo and behold, two days later, it would end up on my front door, which was way better than having to fight the traffic of Hollywood. (Music) I didn't have much money, but I had time and a sense of wonder. (Music)
+ [# d* t2 v, Q) a2 D  B) B, Y+ W4 N* \9 M
So I started shooting time-lapse photography. It would take me a month to shoot a four-minute roll of film, because that's all I could afford.
0 C. Z3 ?  }, L8 U
9 H, E6 H+ q/ \) R/ T* II've been shooting time-lapse flowers continuously, non-stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for over 30 years, and to see them move is a dance I'll never get tired of. Their beauty immerses us with color, taste, touch. It also provides a third of the food we eat. (Music) Beauty and seduction is nature's tools for survival, because we protect what we fall in love with. It opens our hearts, and makes us realize we are a part of nature and we're not separate from it. When we see ourselves in nature, it also connects us to every one of us, because it's clear that it's all connected in one. " E' Z: ?/ n% U" w$ H: e. Z2 c

4 X0 j, {4 v( l4 S2 M+ l1 D7 jWhen people see my images, a lot of times they'll say, "Oh my God." Have you ever wondered what that meant? The "oh" means it caught your attention, makes you present, makes you mindful. The "my" means it connects with something deep inside your soul. It creates a gateway for your inner voice to rise up and be heard. And "God"? God is that personal journey we all want to be on, to be inspired, to feel like we're connected to a universe that celebrates life. , x) f' k# Y% r. G, Q! c

' h! {4 O% H% X5 [9 Y7 pDid you know that 80 percent of the information we receive comes through our eyes? And if you compare light energy to musical scales, it would only be one octave that the naked eye could see, which is right in the middle? And aren't we grateful for our brains that can, you know, take this electrical impulse that comes from light energy to create images in order for us to explore our world? And aren't we grateful that we have hearts that can feel these vibrations in order for us to allow ourselves to feel the pleasure and the beauty of nature? (Music) " Q: _- `4 k. o  }
6 ~+ W6 J$ q% K2 h. x# h6 ^: ]
Nature's beauty is a gift that cultivates appreciation and gratitude. (Music) So I have a gift I want to share with you today, a project I'm working on called Happiness Revealed, and it'll give us a glimpse into that perspective from the point of view of a child and an elderly man of that world. # g/ B( e4 D# |$ o1 S% A
. j+ F' g' C5 J4 a8 E- C
Child: When I watch TV, it's just some shows that you just -- that are pretend, and when you explore, you get more imagination than you already had, and when you get more imagination, it makes you want to go deeper in so you can get more and see beautifuller things, like the path, if it's a path, it could lead you to a beach, or something, and it could be beautiful. (Music)
4 X2 O* M% f6 Z+ v. T
6 ~3 x1 v9 [; g/ S% J8 `Elderly Man: You think this is just another day in your life? It's not just another day. It's the one day that is given to you today. It's given to you. It's a gift. It's the only gift that you have right now, and the only appropriate response is gratefulness. If you do nothing else but to cultivate that response to the great gift that this unique day is, if you learn to respond as if it were the first day in your life and the very last day, then you will have spent this day very well.
* s1 H% d6 ]4 M% q# x7 S' m: J9 y% e. z& c0 K8 H( J- X" K: w
Begin by opening your eyes and be surprised that you have eyes you can open, that incredible array of colors that is constantly offered to us for pure enjoyment. Look at the sky. We so rarely look at the sky. We so rarely note how different it is from moment to moment, with clouds coming and going. We just think of the weather, and even with the weather, we don't think of all the many nuances of weather. We just think of good weather and bad weather. This day, right now, has unique weather, maybe a kind that will never exactly in that form come again. That formation of clouds in the sky will never be the same as it is right now. Open your eyes. Look at that. ) P* j2 l* o" w; o8 G

: j7 t( c- b1 |7 d, o  S) H0 O% W5 iLook at the faces of people whom you meet. Each one has an incredible story behind their face, a story that you could never fully fathom, not only their own story, but the story of their ancestors. We all go back so far, and in this present moment, on this day, all the people you meet, all that life from generations and from so many places all over the world flows together and meets you here like a life-giving water, if you only open your heart and drink. (Music) 8 K) w2 v2 k# |+ a

/ p: r5 w0 ?+ {5 OOpen your heart to the incredible gifts that civilization gives to us. You flip a switch and there is electric light. You turn a faucet and there is warm water and cold water, and drinkable water. It's a gift that millions and millions in the world will never experience. 7 i. o: Y" f0 t# k1 u+ O" q: }
) c$ e. p, \; d0 q
So these are just a few of an enormous number of gifts to which we can open your heart. And so I wish you that you will open your heart to all these blessings, and let them flow through you, that everyone whom you will meet on this day will be blessed by you, just by your eyes, by your smile, by your touch, just by your presence. Let the gratefulness overflow into blessing all around you, and then it will really be a good day. (Music) 0 ~8 u  e; A5 f# I! y1 o
鲜花(31) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-10 10:47 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢。
( v) ]% x+ L& u- E5 u0 p# \目下是信息过剩的时代。无用的信息太多太多。人的一生莫非要在寻觅和徘徊中度过?我有时甚至认为版主的职责是过滤垃圾,而不是鼓励倾倒无用的言论和灌水。回贴量作为衡量指标,是否与Go Green 的 人类的义务背道而驰?
5 J' p8 o  J0 u2 U6 U; f/ vTED精选众多学者、专家、达人的短篇演讲,可以当广播听,无疑是开发慧根,学习英语,揣摩说话技巧的理想资源。

鲜花鸡蛋

JoyceAccSG  在2012-10-10 10:51  送朵鲜花  并说:我非常同意你的观点,送朵鲜花鼓励一下
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2012-10-10 11:38 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
tradesman 发表于 2012-10-10 10:47 * S; E/ n; M5 }* x6 _8 j3 l
谢谢。9 x* h$ [; _7 r  C
目下是信息过剩的时代。无用的信息太多太多。人的一生莫非要在寻觅和徘徊中度过?我有时甚至认为版 ...
- c6 a+ d. u# @  r1 D8 J* E6 B
你听到好的,欢迎单独拿出来和大家分享。4 S" q2 R8 ^. Z3 B6 U- R8 Q

% O) U& a4 k0 Q你说得是对的,但网络给了大家一定的宽松空间,我们可能需要大度一点.
鲜花(31) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-10 13:14 | 显示全部楼层
你说得很对。判断有用无用是很主观的。不过人眼前出现太多不需要的东西就会急。/ j) W0 }' K9 H7 a$ }
我每天阅读加拿大的报刊,越来越觉得加拿大的民主如上网罐水。有时觉得少数精英说了算未必不是未来最理想的社会制度。
鲜花(43) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2012-10-11 10:20 | 显示全部楼层
Jane McGonigal:游戏创造美好生活" _. B% N5 S8 U$ q4 G
8 ~( r( F$ g7 R! k& Q( O6 ?7 q
the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life.html1 Z$ E) E% C: Y$ j1 D) x
9 b# ]8 N( x: ~2 C& M7 k8 z
最近看了这2段Jane McGonigal 的演讲,给哥哥找到打游戏的理由了。
老柳教车
鲜花(31) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-14 12:41 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
终于发现有人有收获我很高兴。% f" {+ n& z$ V8 M% c1 ?8 }9 t
网络社区是孤独的人得到同志的的地方,即使放个屁也会有数不清的人上当围观。功利主义的发播广告者也明白放个屁也可插入一条广告。广告经营者也乐在其中,谁放个屁他可强行推销一条广告。这就是网络社区垃圾成堆的原因。不过,以上人士忘记了一个最重要的东西,用户体验才是决定社区兴旺的根本。
鲜花(31) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-20 12:49 | 显示全部楼层
我知道,随便批评是不合时宜的。罗卜白菜各有所爱。但TED提供精品的巨大反差让我震惊。传播新思想,得到启发,消除偏见,避免狭隘,不就是网络论坛的目标吗?当然,是因为英语理解能力的改善,才让我能感受到诸多达人巨大的魅力。

鲜花鸡蛋

JoyceAccSG  在2012-10-23 19:57  送朵鲜花  并说:我非常同意你的观点,送朵鲜花鼓励一下
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2012-10-23 19:57 | 显示全部楼层
tradesman 发表于 2012-10-20 12:49
0 C0 y" Z+ b& y- R我知道,随便批评是不合时宜的。罗卜白菜各有所爱。但TED提供精品的巨大反差让我震惊。传播新思想,得到启发 ...

9 r* I% B5 g# m
鲜花(327) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2012-10-26 07:25 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
谢谢分享!太好了!
鲜花(31) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2012-12-10 15:39 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
请感受摄影师路易之:精美绝伦的自然和人类- r$ h7 b8 C7 g2 `) F& w+ A' I
Check out this amazing TED Talk:
% D& m- J! j" C" J/ L
' k1 ~3 g& T) q. W* e8 z0 a% K" PLouie Schwartzberg: Nature. Beauty. Gratitude.. X4 b# u+ R5 ^5 D% u/ {
http://www.ted.com/talks/louie_s ... auty_gratitude.html
鲜花(345) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2012-12-16 15:08 | 显示全部楼层
收藏了。
鲜花(8) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2012-12-25 01:37 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢!
鲜花(662) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-1-13 20:43 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
取长补短,互相学习,相互交流,每次都会有新知识,( C( t  \  F6 k& _# `
充实自己!
鲜花(173) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2013-2-28 19:55 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2013-5-27 15:22 | 显示全部楼层
http://www.ted.com/talks/judy_ma ... od_end_of_life.html  u& v: \+ }& {6 |) s) d
1 d" H& L3 g0 {. |
5 E8 o- e) ^4 I
" Y' J; O8 Q& n+ }6 ]1 |
What would be a good end of life? And I'm talking about the very end. I'm talking about dying. ( ], f/ @! C, \/ t2 N

0 u) U3 p$ p  }0 B+ c  |; u# f8 \We all think a lot about how to live well. I'd like to talk about increasing our chances of dying well. I'm not a geriatrician. I design reading programs for preschoolers. What I know about this topic comes from a qualitative study with a sample size of two. In the last few years, I helped two friends have the end of life they wanted. Jim and Shirley Modini spent their 68 years of marriage living off the grid on their 1,700-acre ranch in the mountains of Sonoma County. They kept just enough livestock to make ends meet so that the majority of their ranch would remain a refuge for the bears and lions and so many other things that lived there. This was their dream.
7 k9 ^  |/ I" m4 X
' A/ M- O# {+ ~5 T+ nI met Jim and Shirley in their 80s. They were both only children who chose not to have kids. As we became friends, I became their trustee and their medical advocate, but more importantly, I became the person who managed their end-of-life experiences. And we learned a few things about how to have a good end.
. q4 w* ]/ C; ~& i7 I1 ^' D7 k! B8 \, m) q5 w3 u
In their final years, Jim and Shirley faced cancers, fractures, infections, neurological illness. It's true. At the end, our bodily functions and independence are declining to zero. What we found is that, with a plan and the right people, quality of life can remain high. The beginning of the end is triggered by a mortality awareness event, and during this time, Jim and Shirley chose ACR nature preserves to take their ranch over when they were gone. This gave them the peace of mind to move forward. It might be a diagnosis. It might be your intuition. But one day, you're going to say, "This thing is going to get me." Jim and Shirley spent this time letting friends know that their end was near and that they were okay with that. 0 F( q/ X& k& @& O% C" O
+ W; z! |3 \/ }- |. @( _% N! e( x! h
Dying from cancer and dying from neurological illness are different. In both cases, last days are about quiet reassurance. Jim died first. He was conscious until the very end, but on his last day he couldn't talk. Through his eyes, we knew when he needed to hear again, "It is all set, Jim. We're going to take care of Shirley right here at the ranch, and ACR's going to take care of your wildlife forever."
" o4 o. h! V! X& I1 K) g; R
  [  X  @5 X) Z3 I, {/ w; QFrom this experience I'm going to share five practices. I've put worksheets online, so if you'd like, you can plan your own end.
; [: e5 s4 j! L! u2 |* ~
: L7 q4 `- N8 x$ u8 e: F2 \It starts with a plan. Most people say, "I'd like to die at home." Eighty percent of Americans die in a hospital or a nursing home. Saying we'd like to die at home is not a plan. A lot of people say, "If I get like that, just shoot me." This is not a plan either; this is illegal. (Laughter) A plan involves answering straightforward questions about the end you want. Where do you want to be when you're no longer independent? What do you want in terms of medical intervention? And who's going to make sure your plan is followed?
& z+ F8 ]* s- o5 K( P
8 b( \0 d9 |9 V/ F1 ~/ nYou will need advocates. Having more than one increases your chance of getting the end you want. Don't assume the natural choice is your spouse or child. You want someone who has the time and proximity to do this job well, and you want someone who can work with people under the pressure of an ever-changing situation.
! k- ~) @( _' s( A# F" F1 d6 E8 N9 l
Hospital readiness is critical. You are likely to be headed to the emergency room, and you want to get this right. Prepare a one-page summary of your medical history, medications and physician information. Put this in a really bright envelope with copies of your insurance cards, your power of attorney, and your do-not-resuscitate order. Have advocates keep a set in their car. Tape a set to your refrigerator. When you show up in the E.R. with this packet, your admission is streamlined in a material way.
/ Z. m5 f3 [; r5 E# k2 |3 R
2 K- U5 q) P+ L1 |4 \0 TYou're going to need caregivers. You'll need to assess your personality and financial situation to determine whether an elder care community or staying at home is your best choice. In either case, do not settle. We went through a number of not-quite-right caregivers before we found the perfect team led by Marsha, who won't let you win at bingo just because you're dying but will go out and take videos of your ranch for you when you can't get out there, and Caitlin, who won't let you skip your morning exercises but knows when you need to hear that your wife is in good hands.
. {. T0 \- d. |" K- K/ q6 S' t: M8 k8 D# {, Z( r' A6 ^4 y
Finally, last words. What do you want to hear at the very end, and from whom would you like to hear it? In my experience, you'll want to hear that whatever you're worried about is going to be fine. When you believe it's okay to let go, you will. 9 T! o+ e2 A: I, @# y6 s' u
+ e3 o0 Q# S' b8 Z5 x
So, this is a topic that normally inspires fear and denial. What I've learned is if we put some time into planning our end of life, we have the best chance of maintaining our quality of life. Here are Jim and Shirley just after deciding who would take care of their ranch. Here's Jim just a few weeks before he died, celebrating a birthday he didn't expect to see. And here's Shirley just a few days before she died being read an article in that day's paper about the significance of the wildlife refuge at the Modini ranch. " k  d( W7 I/ w" Q$ i; }6 ^0 \

* c' Z$ p8 B" y9 _3 t7 lJim and Shirley had a good end of life, and by sharing their story with you, I hope to increase our chances of doing the same.
2 k7 p% w  j. R4 b3 l/ b0 x  b* U* \2 k) l" b
Thank you.
1 K1 b* |, x4 k: D+ V/ k, W" I3 M
6 I" [! e% i7 M5 j& a' n$ c4 d(Applause)
) I4 ]0 }1 y# U% Q
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2013-7-3 21:07 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
本帖最后由 JoyceAccSG 于 2013-7-3 21:08 编辑
" K! \9 k2 x% z# J: S) u2 ^6 e7 D) \
9 t* N9 f1 s; M+ r: s& ?) e, N/ o5 `" o" O7 B8 h7 P
http://www.ted.com/talks/julia_sweeney_on_letting_go_of_god.html
* i5 K- b" K6 f% B
http://www.ted.com/talks/julia_sweeney_on_letting_go_of_god.html
& ^; g5 @/ W' F2 G: [
On September 10, the morning of my seventh birthday, I came downstairs to the kitchen, where my mother was washing the dishes and my father was reading the paper or something, and I sort of presented myself to them in the doorway, and they said, "Hey, happy birthday!" And I said, "I'm seven." And my father smiled and said, "Well, you know what that means, don't you?" And I said, "Yeah, that I'm going to have a party and a cake and get a lot of presents?" And my dad said, "Well, yes. But, more importantly, being seven means that you've reached the age of reason, and you're now capable of committing any and all sins against God and man." (Laughter) 6 }0 h2 }8 P& s

9 U+ ~. [8 W, ^9 T4 `Now, I had heard this phrase, "age of reason," before. Sister Mary Kevin had been bandying it about my second-grade class at school. But when she said it, the phrase seemed all caught up in the excitement of preparations for our first communion and our first confession, and everybody knew that was really all about the white dress and the white veil, and anyway, I hadn't really paid all that much attention to that phrase, "age of reason." So, I said, "Yeah, yeah, age of reason. What does that mean again?" And my dad said, "Well, we believe in the Catholic Church that God knows that little kids don't know the difference between right and wrong, but when you're seven, you're old enough to know better. So, you've grown up, and reached the age of reason, and now God will start keeping notes on you and begin your permanent record." (Laughter) And I said, "Oh. Wait a minute. You mean all that time, up till today, all that time I was so good, God didn't notice it?" And my mom said, "Well, I noticed it." (Laughter) And I thought, "How could I not have known this before? How could it not have sunk in when they'd been telling me? All that being good and no real credit for it. And, worst of all, how could I not have realized this very important information until the very day that it was basically useless to me?" So I said, "Well, Mom and Dad, what about Santa Claus? I mean, Santa Claus knows if you're naughty or nice, right?" And my dad said, "Yeah, but, honey, I think that's technically just between Thanksgiving and Christmas." And my mother said, "Oh, Bob, stop it. Let's just tell her. I mean, she's seven. Julie, there is no Santa Claus." (Laughter) Now, this was actually not that upsetting to me.
( X8 o3 D. H4 @% @$ I2 D- j% W  l) C  O4 Z2 B2 a% w$ q
My parents had this whole elaborate story about Santa Claus: how they had talked to Santa Claus himself and agreed that instead of Santa delivering our presents over the night of Christmas Eve, like he did for every other family who got to open their surprises first thing Christmas morning, our family would give Santa more time. Santa would come to our house while we were at nine o'clock high mass on Christmas morning, but only if all of us kids did not make a fuss. Which made me very suspicious. It was pretty obvious that it was really our parents giving us the presents. I mean, my dad had a very distinctive wrapping style, and my mother's handwriting was so close to Santa's. Plus, why would Santa save time by having to loop back to our house after he'd gone to everybody else's? There's only one obvious conclusion to reach from this mountain of evidence: our family was too strange and weird for even Santa Claus to come visit, and my poor parents were trying to protect us from the embarrassment, this humiliation of rejection by Santa, who was jolly -- but, let's face it, he was also very judgmental. So, to find out that there was no Santa Claus at all was actually sort of a relief.   B1 n. b1 t/ d- R

" f7 n: L6 w4 u% P4 t, b9 ZI left the kitchen not really in shock about Santa, but rather I was just dumbfounded about how I could have missed this whole age of reason thing. It was too late for me, but maybe I could help someone else, someone who could use the information. They had to fit two criteria: they had to be old enough to be able to understand the whole concept of the age of reason, and not yet seven. The answer was clear: my brother Bill. He was six. Well, I finally found Bill about a block away from our house at this public school playground. It was a Saturday, and he was all by himself, just kicking a ball against the side of a wall. I ran up to him and said, "Bill! I just realized that the age of reason starts when you turn seven, and then you're capable of committing any and all sins against God and man." And Bill said, "So?" And then I said, "So, you're six. You have a whole year to do anything you want to and God won't notice it." And he said, "So?" And I said, "So? So everything!" And I turned to run. I was so angry with him. But when I got to the top of the steps, I turned around dramatically and said, "Oh, by the way, Bill, there is no Santa Claus." (Laughter)
# H( Y( V, H2 ~0 I0 t& @$ {! }- W7 _4 Z0 o/ J
Now, I didn't know it at the time, but I really wasn't turning seven on September 10. For my 13th birthday, I planned a slumber party with all of my girlfriends, but a couple of weeks beforehand my mother took me aside and said, "I need to speak to you privately. September 10 is not your birthday. It's October 10." And I said, "What?" (Laughter) And she said, "Listen. The cut-off date to start kindergarten was September 15." (Laughter) "So, I told them that your birthday was on September 10, and then I wasn't sure that you weren't just going to go blab it all over the place, so I started to tell you your birthday was September 10. But, Julie, you were so ready to start school, honey. You were so ready." I thought about it, and when I was four, I was already the oldest of four children, and my mother even had another child to come, so what I think she understandably really meant was that she was so ready, she was so ready. Then she said, "Don't worry, Julie, every year on October 10 when it was your birthday but you didn't realize it, I made sure that you ate a piece of cake that day." (Laughter) Which was comforting, but troubling. My mother had been celebrating my birthday with me, without me. What was so upsetting about this new piece of information was not that I was going to have to change the date of my slumber party with all of my girlfriends, what was most upsetting was that this meant that I was not a Virgo. I had a huge Virgo poster in my bedroom, and I read my horoscope every single day, and it was so totally me. (Laughter) And this meant that I was a Libra? So, I took the bus downtown to get the new Libra poster. The Virgo poster is a picture of a beautiful woman with long hair, sort of lounging by some water, but the Libra poster is just a huge scale. This was around the time that I started filling out physically, and I was filling out a lot more than a lot of the other girls, and, frankly, the whole idea that my astrological sign was a scale just seemed ominous and depressing. (Laughter) But I got the new Libra poster, and I started to read my new Libra horoscope, and I was astonished to find that it was also totally me.
4 h( [* q: Y  Y! o6 Q, F3 {% x" v% Y
; n: m2 C  ^# d4 Z, |It wasn't until years later, looking back on this whole age-of-reason/change-of-birthday thing, that it dawned on me: I wasn't turning seven when I thought I turned seven. I had a whole other month to do anything I wanted to before God started keeping tabs on me. Oh, life can be so cruel. One day, two Mormon missionaries came to my door. Now, I just live off a main thoroughfare in Los Angeles, and my block is -- well, it's a natural beginning for people who are peddling things door to door. Sometimes I get little old ladies from the Seventh Day Adventist Church showing me these cartoon pictures of heaven. And sometimes I get teenagers who promise me that they won't join a gang and just start robbing people if I only buy some magazine subscriptions from them. So, normally I just ignore the doorbell, but on this day I answered. And there stood two boys, each about 19, in white starched short-sleeved shirts, and they had little name tags that identified them as official representatives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and they said they had a message for me from God. I said, "A message for me? From God?" And they said, "Yes." Now, I was raised in the Pacific Northwest, around a lot of Church of Latter-day Saints people and, you know, I've worked with them and even dated them, but I never really knew the doctrine or what they said to people when they were out on a mission, and I guess I was, sort of, curious, so I said, "Well, please, come in." And they looked really happy, because I don't think this happens to them all that often. (Laughter)
* u9 C6 O0 m2 x! A! i8 _2 B) J/ O9 R; B& X3 _
And I sat them down, and I got them glasses of water -- OK, I got it. I got them glasses of water. Don't touch my hair, that's the thing. (Laughter) You can't put a video of myself in front of me and expect me not to fix my hair. (Laughter) OK. So I sat them down and I got them glasses of water, and after niceties they said, "Do you believe that God loves you with all his heart?" And I thought, "Well, of course I believe in God, but, you know, I don't like that word, heart, because it anthropomorphizes God, and I don't like the word, 'his,' either, because that sexualizes God." But I didn't want to argue semantics with these boys, so after a very long, uncomfortable pause, I said "Yes, yes, I do. I feel very loved." And they looked at each other and smiled, like that was the right answer. And then they said, "Do you believe that we're all brothers and sisters on this planet?" And I said, "Yes, I do. Yes, I do." And I was so relieved that it was a question I could answer so quickly. And they said, "Well, then we have a story to tell you."
! ?7 y5 G2 k5 k, r( k' a: T
2 `+ w9 v) A* F5 M9 KAnd they told me this story all about this guy named Lehi, who lived in Jerusalem in 600 BC. Now, apparently in Jerusalem in 600 BC, everyone was completely bad and evil. Every single one of them: man, woman, child, infant, fetus. And God came to Lehi and said to him, "Put your family on a boat and I will lead you out of here." And God did lead them. He led them to America. I said, "America? From Jerusalem to America by boat in 600 BC?" And they said, "Yes." (Laughter) Then they told me how Lehi and his descendants reproduced and reproduced, and over the course of 600 years there were two great races of them, the Nephites and the Lamanites, and the Nephites were totally, totally good -- each and every one of them -- and the Lamanites were totally bad and evil -- every single one of them just bad to the bone. (Laughter) / f8 p( H0 K1 y3 Q: I, n, x

* U$ _; P5 t1 d) s' M. U1 `: ?0 R5 E" QThen, after Jesus died on the cross for our sins, on his way up to heaven he stopped by America and visited the Nephites. (Laughter) And he told them that if they all remained totally, totally good -- each and every one of them -- they would win the war against the evil Lamanites. But apparently somebody blew it, because the Lamanites were able to kill all the Nephites. All but one guy, this guy named Mormon, who managed to survive by hiding in the woods. And he made sure this whole story was written down in reformed Egyptian hieroglyphics chiseled onto gold plates, which he then buried near Palmyra, New York. (Laughter) Well, I was just on the edge of my seat. (Laughter) I said, "What happened to the Lamanites?" And they said, "Well, they became our Native Americans here in the U.S." And I said, "So, you believe the Native Americans are descended from a people who were totally evil?" And they said, "Yes." Then they told me how this guy named Joseph Smith found those buried gold plates right in his backyard, and he also found this magic stone back there that he put into his hat and then buried his face into, and this allowed him to translate the gold plates from the reformed Egyptian into English. ! c6 @/ L7 c* E4 C5 t

/ b; }. f8 S) W. k  V# v% P  NWell, at this point I just wanted to give these two boys some advice about their pitch. (Laughter) I wanted to say, "OK, don't start with this story." I mean, even the Scientologists know to start with a personality test before they start -- (Applause) -- telling people all about Xenu, the evil intergalactic overlord. Well, then they said, "Do you believe that God speaks to us through his righteous prophets?" And I said, "No, I don't." Because I was, sort of, upset about this Lamanite story and this crazy gold plate story, but the truth was, I hadn't really thought this through, so I backpedaled a little and I said, "Well, what exactly do you mean by righteous? And what do you mean by prophets? Like, could the prophets be women?" And they said, "No." And I said, "Why?" And they said, "Well, it's because God gave women a gift that is so spectacular, it is so wonderful, that the only gift he had left over to give men was the gift of prophecy." What is this wonderful gift God gave women, I wondered? Maybe their greater ability to cooperate and adapt? Women's longer lifespan? The fact that women tend to be much less violent than men? But, no, it wasn't any of these gifts. They said, "Well, it's her ability to bear children." I said, "Oh, come on. I mean, even if women tried to have a baby every single year from the time they were 15 to the time they were 45, assuming they didn't die from exhaustion, it still seems like some women would have some time left over to hear the word of God." And they said, "No." (Laughter)
" P- J6 T: U) h- H+ s
* F* s  f7 D. P6 a. FWell, then they didn't look so fresh-faced and cute to me any more, but they had more to say. They said, "Well, we also believe that if you're a Mormon and if you're in good standing with the church, when you die you get to go to heaven and be with your family for all eternity." And I said, "Oh, dear -- (Laughter) -- that wouldn't be such a good incentive for me." (Laughter) And they said, "Oh -- hey, well, we also believe that when you go to heaven you get your body restored to you in its best original state. Like, if you'd lost a leg, well, you get it back. Or, if you'd gone blind, you could see." I said, "Oh -- now, I don't have a uterus because I had cancer a few years ago. So, does this mean that if I went to heaven I would get my old uterus back?" And they said, "Sure." And I said, "I don't want it back. I'm happy without it." Gosh. What if you had a nose job and you liked it? (Laughter) Would God force you to get your old nose back? Well, then they gave me this Book of Mormon, and they told me to read this chapter and that chapter, and they said they'd come back some day and check in on me, and I think I said something like, "Please don't hurry," or maybe it was just, "Please don't," and they were gone.
: y% R- d9 A: p  @
( ?$ V  O4 V0 p* J2 E9 g2 ^/ KOK, so, I initially felt really superior to these boys, and smug in my more conventional faith. But then, the more I thought about it, the more I had to be honest with myself. If someone came to my door and I was hearing Catholic theology and dogma for the very first time, and they said, "We believe that God impregnated a very young girl without the use of intercourse, and the fact that she was a virgin is maniacally important to us -- (Laughter) -- and she had a baby, and that's the son of God," I mean, I would think that's equally ridiculous. I'm just so used to that story. (Laughter) So, I couldn't let myself feel condescending towards these boys. 5 A  f5 u2 y& s% B6 c" |

) `, {! k* U# j1 P7 A; @But the question they asked me when they first arrived really stuck in my head: Did I believe that God loved me with all his heart? Because I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about that question. Now, if they'd asked me, Do you feel that God loves you with all his heart? Well, that would have been much different, I think I would have instantly answered, "Yes, yes, I feel it all the time. I feel God's love when I'm hurt and confused, and I feel consoled and cared for. I take shelter in God's love when I don't understand why tragedy hits, and I feel God's love when I look with gratitude at all the beauty I see." But since they asked me that question with the word believe in it, somehow it was all different, because I wasn't exactly sure if I believed what I so clearly felt
鲜花(32) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-10-12 04:27 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
我听ted talk5年了
鲜花(6) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-12-14 23:33 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
高人!
, i. O; t! _5 Z" b收到!^_^

鲜花鸡蛋

JoyceAccSG  在2014-1-7 19:37  送朵鲜花  并说:Welcome new to garden,送朵鲜花鼓励一下
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2014-1-7 19:37 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
edmontondown 发表于 2013-10-12 04:27
6 U8 B# h& I% {; w8 ^% h7 O" \4 z" i我听ted talk5年了

! |0 F* j/ ?8 ~  r把好的推荐一下下。
鲜花(1654) 鸡蛋(51)
发表于 2014-1-7 19:38 | 显示全部楼层
Michael98 发表于 2013-12-14 23:33
' a4 j0 @6 }7 _, Q高人!( ]3 v# T/ Q, k* r6 p! H7 J
收到!^_^

8 R. B- `8 l$ WWelcome new to garden.
鲜花(163) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2014-4-11 08:40 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
我已经看,听ted 5 年了来自: iPhone客户端
鲜花(13) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2014-11-9 08:16 | 显示全部楼层
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-3-28 15:49 , Processed in 0.268133 second(s), 35 queries , Gzip On, APC On.