注册
查看: 1507|回复: 0

加拿大失业率8月升侄6.5%但本省

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2006-9-9 10:51 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
加拿大失业率8月升侄6.5%但本省新增加工作占全加40%
) M8 M1 x/ A: E: u% S7 K! q0 l1 aCanada's unemployment rate rises to 6.5% in August as job losses continue  
/ ?" B; o! U1 ], @- J3 H1 p1 L- {+ R; k& V1 R: k+ P  ?0 W# t
Published:Edmonton Journal  Friday, September 08, 2006 - P* e  X" C; g5 j. h# c- n" d
OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's jobless rate rose to 6.5 per cent in August from 6.4 per cent in July, still near 30-month lows but short of analysts' expectations and a major factor behind a sharp decline for the loonie on Friday. $ S+ |% w" Q' H% P3 F
9 W5 _1 w) t: q0 f- p5 Y& N
Analysts had generally forecast the unemployment rate would hold steady but instead 16,000 jobs were shaved from the national workforce as the number of part-time positions lost outpaced growth in full-time work, Statistics Canada reported Friday.
4 |8 Y. z; [9 s' Y# ]+ b
: R5 q7 @) `8 ]. ]With such signs of a cooling economy, the Canadian dollar dropped close to four-fifths of a cent after the report and closed at 89.27 cents US - the lowest in three weeks.
( A' {; o1 f/ p; t
+ q5 R- y4 Z. {, q, ^5 A1 ?% iCentral Canada continued to see its manufacturing base erode while Alberta's booming oilpatch struggled to keep pace with those seeking jobs. ; V' I1 v0 p5 `
6 U. e( q4 ?. ^8 G
CIBC World Markets economist Avery Shenfeld said last month's jobless numbers appear to represent a weakening economic trend after May's strong employment data and a jobless rate of 6.1 per cent, its lowest point since December 1974. For May, Statistics Canada had reported the economy gained 97,000 jobs. . N  v* p' L0 w" K
0 z' O% I; ~- a( y- b
"I'm wondering how much is attributable to August's activity and how much is attributable to the May report," Shenfeld said. "This is simply a return to more realistic numbers." . U7 e7 j4 w% U- c/ n
4 M& ^# \7 ]( O& C5 J- M" ]- }
Last month's unemployment rate remained near 30-year lows and since the beginning of the year 194,000 jobs have been created.
8 g+ R9 j' Y% l2 P
6 h& }# c0 i0 u$ v; ~5 [But continuing losses in the manufacturing sector have meant nearly 90,000 jobs have been lost in the goods-producing sector since the beginning of the year. Since 2002, more than 200,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost. ' H& o) }- u# d( k8 b# t

7 N% u1 `) i  v. \% L0 V$ V+ s5 tBMO Nesbitt Burns economist Douglas Porter said the good news is that the manufacturing base is not losing ground any faster than it did last year. However, there are signs pointing to deeper job losses in manufacturing in the coming years.
9 ?( x- M2 f, Q9 n: U5 I# l7 F* r& [8 P/ S0 E  E
"The slowdown is really in its early stages, unfortunately," Porter said.
* f1 f  F# N% H% a% @5 {; ?. K: q3 O6 [& F& }; l1 y7 o
Aron Gampel, deputy chief economist at Scotiabank, noted that automakers Ford (NYSE:F) and General Motors (NYSE:GM) are still in the early stages of production cuts that will have a ripple effect across Central Canada.
0 X$ @+ B' t2 C, @% @* E4 M$ V# o; Q4 v, q+ s- q+ v
With a high Canadian dollar and softening U.S. economy reducing demand for Canadian goods, the car industry is in for more pain, he added.
5 o: i; i9 k: R( \
$ k" }# D+ V* }7 Y. N"The weakness in the manufacturing sector shows no signs of letting up," Gampel said. 4 p; z/ j" A1 A7 C9 I
  F$ a2 }* ]6 Q& p1 e5 l0 b  v7 X  \
If the U.S. economy slows more quickly than economists expect, the prospects of Canada's manufacturing sector look "bleak," said TD Bank economist David Tulk (TSX:TD). 7 W% s# [6 z( b2 y# X- V

6 f3 A+ t. I* E; w- N: R4 OWhile Quebec and Ontario have seen their manufacturing heartlands pummelled, both provinces posted job gains in the services sector. ! x0 Z5 J2 z- \- R% K
1 v0 ^' I0 K8 W9 @% T& W
Alberta continues to drive much of the country's job growth as its oilpatch produced 8,000 new jobs in August. But that number hasn't kept up with the flow of people streaming into the province looking for work as Alberta's unemployment rate jumped to 4.2 per cent, from 3.6 per cent in July.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-2 14:31 , Processed in 0.152807 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.